Thread: so confused

so confused

Hello all,

does anyone have a clue how their panic attacks started??!!
    i've been trying to figure out for more than five years and yet after all that time come out possibly more confused and none the wiser.
    cause i thought perhaps if i could figure out how and why they started i might be able to break free. Ah well, a girl can dream....

hi Twiglet,

I think that in some cases panic attacks can start for no reason whatsoever. Lots of us try to over-analyse these things - myself included. I think the more frustrated we get about not finding an answer, the worst the panic attacks can get. If there's not an obvious reason for you having panic attacks, then chances are that there many not be one..

Sarah

"If life were simple, word would have got around"

Hiya Twiglet.
    I too have thought long and hard about what caused my agoraphobia and anxiety and I give up!
    It just gives you a very bad headache!
    I always thought that they came along very quickly, but when I look back, I can remember little bits of panic that were nothing too serious, but just seemed to have spiraled out of control over some months.
    It's been 22 years now (sorry, not very encouraging to people who have just been diagnosed, but I'm a lily livered chicken, so take no notice!).

When all is said and done I think it's more healthy to concentrate on getting better and not on the cause, after all, if I knew what caused it, would I be able to stop how I feel? I don't think I would, but I can dream too!

Anyway, good luck and best wishes to you.
    Love.
    Jayne xx

J. Morris

Hi Twiglet

I don't think looking back for reasons why or how really helps in the recovery process. In fact, too much over-analysing and thinking about why things have happened is not good because it encourages inward thinking and rumination.

The changes need to happen in your life as it is today and learning to ignore the negative thoughts or challenge and rationalise them, and to manage the anxiety will help you with your recovery.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

Hi Twiglet

Wow! what a question ? Panic attacks and where they start from ? like the other guys said over analysing can be dangerous, but sometimes tracing back what caused your first attack can sometimes help you to go back to the place and retrace your steps but this time with a good understanding of how to control the panic !

Now if you think thats possible then do it! it cannot hurt and can be a very good way of learning to cope with it, but first and foremost you must learn how to control it and deal with the feelings ! so take things slowly, dont rush and good luck I am sure it will work for you and could help in many ways

Take care

Sue with 5

scknight

I guess i should'nt worry to much over it, but it is so frustrating.
    i just dont know how to prevent them from happening. when i first went to my doctor, ( 5 & a half years ago) he told me when i get one to put a coat on and have a cup of tea!!??? Hmmm....does'nt make alot of sense.
    They have gotten slightly better with time,(no thanks to the doctors advice) but its still soo scary when they appear. i've only had two in the last four weeks which is good but also i know theres one on its way then.

Hi Twiglet,

I think the fact that you have the thought in your brain that your gonna have another on isnt helping you, but i know from experience that its not that easy to think otherwise!

Maybe u could try writing a daily journal of what youve done & eaten, and then it may help to pin point if there is a common factor, but as Sarah says, sotimes they do just happen.

I know when i have one coming on so i now am learning to get past it so it dosnt go full blown. Are you able to recognise when one is coming on or are they out of the blue?

Tatty B xx

It took me about 3 years to figure out why I had the first one and I only figured it out once I was well on the way to recovery anyway.

80% are caused by your thoughts

drugs, food ,alcohol, sugar, caffiene and exhaution make up most of the rest with a few % for true spontaneous ones.

Lets try to keep our thoughts in perspective
    Mind Games
    obsessive thoughts & anxiety
    Still suffering this damn "suggestive" thing..
    How to CURE yourself ! The definitive guide here..

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Hi Twiglet,
    I think mine started due to being unhappy and stressed, since i have sorted out my personal life, my panics have stopped, wether that is down to the meds or me im not sure, I still get anxious when I am stressed out, but I can deal with that.
    Take care
    Trac xx

its "just a thought"

Hi Twiglet

My first panic attack came out of the blue and took me by total surprise and deeply upset me. As I now understand it, once your brain has learnt the behaviour, it remembers it - so the important thing to try and learn is how to turn the positive into negative for the future. For me that is still 'a work in progress!'

Like others have said, sometimes you never find the reason to why they started, so do try to put your thoughts to how you can move forward.

As you can see by the replies, many of us can identify with you on this one!

Take care

Elaine XX

Thread Information