Thread: Need advice about building confidence talking in groups!

Need advice about building confidence talking in groups!

Hi all,

I'm just needing some good advice on speaking in front of groups without the nerves affecting my confidence and performance.

When I'm sat talking I can be ok with confidence, but if I have to stand up I become nervy and tense in my shoulders and neck and I can feel myself holding my breath, which leads to difficulty when talking. I try to relax by breathing and dropping my shoulders and thinking that nothing bad will happen, but I find I am not making progress in this particular area with these thoughts. I have done well with everything else but this is the obstacle that I am finding hard to overcome. I think I may be thinking too hard about not allowing the anxiety to get in the way, I have tried focussing my attention elsewhere which does work, but I think I may be far too conscious of people looking at me especially when I'm feeling anxious.

Has anyone suffered similar problems and how have you succeeded?

LK

Re: Need advice about building confidence talking in groups!

Hi there LK'

I am a college lecturer so have to speak to groups all the time. An experienced colleague gave me a tip when I started teaching. She said that everyone watching me was just like me - they all had to go to the toilet when the urge to do so came!!!! So when I felt nervous I just concentrated on my 'listeners' having to go to the toilet in public and this seemed to get rid of my nervous thoughts as I was distracted!!! This might work for you - Good luck

Chantelle

Re: Need advice about building confidence talking in groups!

Thanks Chantelle,

I had a bit of anxiety today when I was asked to speak, I struggled again with my breathing but I recognised when it kicked in for the next time around. The second time I was more with it and I just breathed calmly throughout speaking and I spoke with lots more confidence. It just goes to prove that repeated exposure can cure the anxiety and my mind control thoughts were not to put too much pressure on myself and go with the flow and switch off to inner feelings of insecurity.

Before I went on this course I had apprehension about my anxiety but I thought buggar it as I have done in the past and it has got me this far with recovery so why not, bring it on! I feel I am heading in the right direction, I feel a real buzz!

LK

Thread Information