Thread: social phobia suffering

social phobia suffering

At first just wanna to say I'm sorry if i put my post in wrong place or something,excuse me cause I'm new here,i have just joined the forum few days ago.
    I'll explain my problem shortly to make sure that many people will read it even though I'm not sure if everyone will get it or not.
    I'msuffering from an anxiety called a(social phobia) i can't deal with people i can't talk with anyone till the kids can u imagine that?when i try talking with anyone i get confused and i stutter....stumble through talking,besides i find my hands move or wave nervosity .......and i can't look at people eyes when i talk to them ,and i forget the words when i try to talk,I'm shy all the time .
    i embarrassed so many times,and almost i don't have any friends .....I'm university student and i have no friends i think all the colleagues at the class hate me they think I'm weird .
    i went to about 7 psychologists each one of them gave me some several medicines like indreal,seroxate , prozac and moodapex and others.......put i didn't get any better even though i took them for along time.
    I'm suffering from this problem from 9 years ago or more than that,i think from the childhood.
    i think that's all i can say ,hopefully you get my problem and i also hope i can find anyone help me .....and I'm sorry if my English was so poor but it's not my first language.
    thank you for anyone took the time and read my problem.

Re: social phobia suffering

Hi Sandy
    my friend has a daughter (16) and she suffers from this too, although, she has just sat her GCSEs and doesn't want to continue with her studies as she finds communicating with her peers difficult. I am encouraging her to try to see a positive in her achievements and to think of them when she feels bad. I have been suffering from GAD and depression for 6 months and have felt that I've been to hell and back so my heart goes out to you. I am sorry that I cannot help you more but if you beleive in your ability to get better you eventually will. Good luck & take care
    Chantelle

thank you chantelle so much..............i just wanna you to know i tried to have achievements,i begin too many things like i went to swimming courses,gym ,and graphic courses and joined workshops but unfortunately i didn't keep on any of this hobbies because of the same reason,every time i went to the gym or the workshop for examples i felt fears from ppl espcialy when someone come and talk to me or something i got nervous and became confused and lose the ability of talking
    thank you anyway for your help ,and for taking interest and read my thread......really thank you

Hello Sandy! I have a very similar problem. I can't talk to people easily, I have social phobia.. When I see people my own age I get really hot and flustered..and just want to run away. I think the best thing to do is to start off with as few people as possible around you so you don't get overwhelmed. I don't think having few friends is a problem if they understand you. hey, you might make some friends on here too
    I have been to psychologists and been given all kinds of medication that make me feel ill and much more anxious so I've decided to treat myself by working voluntarily and making myself approach people. It's really hard and most of the time I get embarassed. Maybe you should set yourself goals, tell yourself just to say hello to one person at first and then say more and more as your confidence builds.

You're very brave to go to university with social phobia. I couldn't do that!!!

thank you so much lilica for your help and support............and yeah i hope to make friends here and hope we will be friends too.
    tried to say hello to ppl but you know people are diffirent,some people are really rude and cruel while dealing with others .
    some people laugh at me ......they think i'm talking weirdly.
    but any anyway thank you so much.

Hi Sandy4,

Hope you are well, its difficult when you are stuck in the middle of all this, I have been there and its not a happy place. You can turn this around, I had to change my mindset and learn to relax to get myself through situations, I changed my focus from studying my feelings of nervousness to the task at hand, eventually things got better but it takes alot of persistence to implement your new thoughts. My big motivator in keeping myself progressing was to keep positive, take each day one day at a time, don't be too harsh on yourself and keep looking forwards, you can't change how youwere in the past but you can certainly learnt from it and become this stronger person in th present.

I hope you well!

LK

Social phobia is the inability to face social situations due to extreme fear of being watched, scrutinised or judged by others. Both men and women are as equally susceptible and the disorder is not discriminated by culture. The disorder is believed to develop during adolescence with approximately 40% of social phobias occurring before the age of ten and 95% before the age of 20.
    Many sufferers are afraid to admit they have the disorder. For fear they’ve failed. If you can identify with any of the above mentioned scenarios then you may well be suffering from social phobia. Further if you are a family member of friend who knows someone with social phobia then you must attempt to help this person.People who suffer from social phobia encounter difficulties when speaking in public, eating and drinking in public, writing in front of others, meeting new people, being the centre of attention, being watched doing something, using the telephone or even when having to speak to authority figures.

Hi Sandy

just to keep you up-dated - my friend's daughter got 1B & 5Cs and is going to start a child-care course through a local training centre. It has been hell for her & her family but she sees this as a fresh start and hopefully she will make a few friends there. She has returned to a sport that she was avoiding and is trying to talk to people on a 1:1 basis. How are you doing? Are you receiving any therapy/counselling? Do the university have these facilities to help you? Hope you are well..........

A little hug from me to you
    to make you smile when you feel blue
    to make you happy when you're sad,
    to let you know life ain't so bad.
    Now I've given a hug to you,
    somehow I feel much better too
    hugs are better when they're shared.
    Hope you have a good day
    Thinking of you....

Chantelle

Chantelle.

thank you all thank you very very much,
    i wana to tell you that i went to a psychologist and he gave me a medicine called motival, is it a good one?
    cause i see i don't feel any better ,i'm still suffering from the social phobia plus i became more anxious it's.....a weird kind of worry or anxious ......besides that i have hypochondrias and that's new thing to me ,is it a side effects or something?
    please tell me ,cause i think this doctor don't know much about what i'm suffering from, and he didn't like to hear me well while i'm talking and i pay a lot of money to visit him .
    i tried about 8 sychologist before and they didn't anything,all of them care about the time i take to expain my problem

Thread Information