Thread: optic neuritis and MS

optic neuritis and MS

Hi two years ago I had a horrible case of optic neuritis. I had never even heard of this condition before nor MS. I was 18 at the time. Anyway for anyone who thinks they "may" have had this let me assure there is no "maybes". It was the worst pain I have ever felt just looking slightly to the left or right would cause horrendus pain in my eye. I had to hold my hand over my eye everytime I wanted to turn my head so my eye didn't move with it. I also went blind, completely. Everything went white. My sight came back perfect but over a period of maybe a month and as it gradually came back it was foggy to begin with. I was then very unlucky after about a month and my sight was almost back for the optic neuritis to go into the other eye. I was told this was highly uncommon however it happened to me. There was one point I was walking through town and could barely see anything because I had lost the sight in my left eye and hadn't had the sight properly return in my right eye. Anyway the second eye took a few months for the sight to completely come back but now I have no fog whatsoever. Anyway I was told about MS etc. I had an MRI scan and that came back normal after this I was discharged. That was just over two years ago and I have been so paranoid ever since. I have never even really spoke about it again with doctors nor given any explanation for it. I have never had any trouble with my health since. I'm scared though that it's inevitable I'm going to develop MS in later years. I've been told I'm fine if I have a two year period of no symptoms which I've had. Plus my MRI scan was fine. but I've read off lovely google that people who have had optic neuritis may develop MS or other neurological disorders within 15 years. ERM WHAT? God i feel lost can anyone offer any insight, experience or assurement? Thanks.

Re: optic neuritis and MS

Hi there,dont know whether you are on here any more but thought i would try anyway! I am currently in week 2 of optic neuritis and full to the brim with anxiety,went to hospital with dull pain in eye socket and totally blind(everything was white misty) after 2 optometrists eye checks and being seen by my doc i was diagnosed and me being my panicky self sought help from mr google.......big mistake!
    I now have a 2 week wait to see a neuro and have a mri and feel like im going crazy with worry,have got a pack of citalopram from docs 10mg that i have started today as i just cant cope with this cortisol/adrenalin ride im on and im tingling/buzzing/headaches/weird sight the usual symptoms of anxiety that i have experienced on and off for the last 5 years,but could equally mean MS too!! So you can imagine what my little brain is doing here.
    Just wanted to ask whether you feel better now,and did it come back again?
    I have been able to cope for past 6 mnths off meds as i did the Linden method with great sucess,but my doc said this is REAL fear and not to feel bad about getting in a state again.
    Oh and yes you are totally right there isnt any maybe about it you would definately know if you had optic neuritis!
    Anyway feedback from anybody including yourself is welcome!
    Just need a few tips on how to cope over nxt couple of weeks

Thread Information