Thread: Don't ever give up!

Don't ever give up!

Life breaks everyone and afterwards, many are strong in the broken places...
    Ernest Hemingway.

After five years of severe anxiety and panic disorder, I hardly dare say it, but...I am recovering myself.

Diazepam addiction fought and won, panic subsiding, body feeling normal at last, sleeping again, the list seems endless of the improvements after so long ill.

Like many people with anxiety I drank alcohol to escape the torment of the mental anguish. I gave up the drink many times over the years yet the anxiety simply would not go away and I returned again and again to drinking as a relief. I despaired of ever recovering and feared the alcoholic I realised I was becoming.

Maybe the condition got fed up with me trudging on with it, maybe all things reach a natural end, I am not certain at all how I got to here and now, or why I have been given relief from the panicking, practice perhaps....

Another new development is facing up, once more, to my drinking problems.
    I will be seeing an ad-action councellor next week, I have stopped seeing my boyfriend who is also entrenched in his alcohol dependency (we drank together) and also this is day 6 of sobriety.

Having given up in the past and returned to it again and again, I am doing it differently this time. I am using a site that the ad-action councellor recommended called Smart Recovery. She recommended the US site, not the UK one and it is very useful, very comprehensive and very supportive.
    www.smartrecovery.org

I just wanted to make this post to say never give up trying, even though it can seem thankless and as if it will never end, it will, I promise.

Re: Don't ever give up!

Hi Ruby

Hope all is still going well for you. Thanks for your post, I think the 'never give up' posts are so important. Anx and depression can seem never ending, but its part of the human condition to push forward, survive and recover.

Let the good times roll

Thanks Ruby - that is just the kind of post I needed to read today!

Well done!
    Greenie x

Well done Ruby,
    we will all get better and what dosen't kill us makes us stronger. Good luck with your recovery - you are an inspiration!!!!!!!!!
    Keep it up
    Chantelle

Hi Ruby, really good to see you're making progress, your positivity is inspiring, as others have said 'don't give up' is an important thing to remember.

Thread Information