Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tribunal disallowed for incapacity benefit can anyone give me some advice

tribunal disallowed for incapacity benefit can anyone give me some advice

hi guys,
    i had my incapacity benefit stopped in december,i have today received the tribunals decision that my appeal has been disallowed,i am just wondering if this has happened to any of you,did you appeal against this decision and what was the outcome,,i realise they have a job to do,but i only needed one point,i just feel a bit deflated im claiming this money because i am unable to work due to suffering from panic attacks,just wondered if anyone can help
    thankyou joanne

Re: tribunal disallowed for incapacity benefit can anyone give me some advice

Hiya Joanne - really sorry to hear about your incapacity benefit :(

I did a quick google-search and there are lots of threads about ib being stopped on the consumeractiongroup forums. They all recommend getting support from your doctor, CAB and a Welfare Rights Officer who you can contact by ringing your local council.

I hope you can get this sorted out as it's bound to be causing you worry.

Wendy

Hi, I have had the same thing happen to me. I was getting Incapacity Benefit for 3 years due to my depression and social phobia, then I had a letter to say my benefit had been stopped as I had been given 8 points on my medical examination eight months earlier (I needed 10 to be able to get Incapacity benefit). I was then told to claim Jobseekers Allowance, and to appeal against the decision. I sought advice at the Citizens Advice Bureau, and they told me to claim E.S.A. instead, and they are now helping me with my appeal.
    I have a letter from my own doctor to say I am not fit enough to return to work, and also a letter of support from the community mental health team, as they have arranged for me to see an Occupational Therapy Technician for 2 hours a week to help me with my anxiety.
    The tribunal service have given me a date for my appeal tribunal, 3rd of september 2009, so I will update this post with their decision.

Sorry about the way this makes you feel,

But I would like to advise you seriously consider going to work as for me it is one of the major factors that keeps me floating on top of anxiety and depression ocean for the past 3 years.

Try and consider doing at least some hours a week and you will see that work - actually will be the booster of your confidence and will disolve your anxiety slowly.

You might have later other depression and anxiety factors - but you will have an element of stability in your life - and it will be work.

good luck

thanks wendy ill look at that, thanks for taking the time to reply to me ,hope you are well,jo

thumbalina,thanks for your advice,i would really love to work i am not one of these people who enjoy sitting around,but you telling me to go back to work is easier said than done,i suffer from panic attacks which usually happen in stressful conditions, it is my aim to return to work when i feel i can,i dont think that at the momebt i would be doing myself or a future employer any favours by returning to work whrn i am not ready

jo

Quote Originally Posted by fizz View Post
    hi guys,
    i had my incapacity benefit stopped in december,i have today received the tribunals decision that my appeal has been disallowed,i am just wondering if this has happened to any of you,did you appeal against this decision and what was the outcome,,i realise they have a job to do,but i only needed one point,i just feel a bit deflated im claiming this money because i am unable to work due to suffering from panic attacks,just wondered if anyone can help
    thankyou joanne
    Joanne, did you gain nine points at the initial medical assessment and the tribunal refused to grant you the extra one, or did the tribunal make it up to nine?

Whatever, you need to contact your GP, local Citizen's Advice Bureau and/or Welfare Rights organisation. You might also contact the mental health charities, SANE and MIND and ask if they could support you somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by overmonnow View Post
    Hi, I have had the same thing happen to me. I was getting Incapacity Benefit for 3 years due to my depression and social phobia, then I had a letter to say my benefit had been stopped as I had been given 8 points on my medical examination eight months earlier (I needed 10 to be able to get Incapacity benefit). I was then told to claim Jobseekers Allowance, and to appeal against the decision. I sought advice at the Citizens Advice Bureau, and they told me to claim E.S.A. instead, and they are now helping me with my appeal.
    I have a letter from my own doctor to say I am not fit enough to return to work, and also a letter of support from the community mental health team, as they have arranged for me to see an Occupational Therapy Technician for 2 hours a week to help me with my anxiety.
    The tribunal service have given me a date for my appeal tribunal, 3rd of september 2009, so I will update this post with their decision.
    So did you begin claiming ESA eight months ago, and if you win your appeal, you'll be put back on Incapacity? Seems a bit weird, seeing that the government is supposed to be switching all IB claimants to ESA anyway, but I guess it's no weirder than being expected to claim Jobseeker's Allowance when your argument for appeal is that you're unfit to work. The whole thing is a shambles. Good luck.

hi oliverb i gained 9 points at the assessment and the tribunal refused to grant me the extra point,

Quote Originally Posted by fizz View Post
    hi oliverb i gained 9 points at the assessment and the tribunal refused to grant me the extra point,
    Did you take anyone with you to speak up for you? If you have any more appeals, don't try it on your own. We're often not our own best advocates.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information