Thread: Diazepam...... Help!

Diazepam...... Help!

I've let anxiety rule my life for the last five years so that I have been unable to hold down a job for any length of time. I've overcome OCD, depression and can't remember the last time I had a PA....
    If I could just get past this, I know I can get on with the rest of my life without feeling like I want to dig a huge hole in my garden and put myself in it.
    I have had a reaction to going on Paroxitine for a second time a few years ago and that has scared me where tabs are concerned (I'm a real baby about it!!!:(
    I really feel I need a short term fix and diazepam 'seems' the answer. Could someone tell me what their experience has been like using them, side effects, worry about addictiveness etc I've also heard they cause drowsiness and if I want to use them to go back to work, me sleeping at my desk is not going to be a good look!! I'm worrying myself into a state about this but I know I have reached a crossroads, I will either go up or go down (I've been down and I don't want to go there again) Help, help, help!

Jem xxx

I havent taken diazepam but as I'm aware lorazepam is very similar. I found lorazepam made me very drowsy, I wasn't quite with it and there's no way I could have gone to work. Benzodiazepines are used for short-term treatment of anxiety amongst other things. As far as I know benzo's aren't licenced for long term use for the reason that they have dependancy issues attached with them. I was prescribed them in tiny amounts just as a stop-gap measure so the dependency angle really wasn't an issue for me.

Hope this helps.

'After the rain comes the sun'

Hi Jem,

When I was very bad. I was given a 2 weeks supply of diazepam I took them for about a week. I didn't want to take a whole one so I broke the diazepam in half and that seemed to relax me a little plus i didn't feel so sleepy then.

Although i don't take them now I have them as a just in case type thing! They are more of a safety net really.

Take care,

Love PIP'S X X

I never had a problem taking Diazepam. I was on 2mg and I used to break one in half and take it - even at work! It never made me fall asleep and I was still able to function and drive home - it just relaxed me.

They are however addictive and the doctor may not give you many because of this reason.

I am not sure they are the best thing to get you back to work as their use is short-term and then you will still have the same issues.

What is it that specifically stops you going to work ? Perhaps we can address that issue instead.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

Hi Jem

I was given diazepam to get me away on holiday earlier this year and they were wonderful.

Like others, I was given a small supply of 2mg tablets and they helped to relax me, when I was having problems.

I did reduce them to 1mg by halving them as well.

I did not experience any side effects, but everyone is different.

I know that my gp and therapist were keen for me to not have them for too long, because they are addictive.

I am now on citalopram and have stopped taking the diazepam, but they helped me through a difficult time.

Elaine

Thanks for all your comments...I've got a lot to think about and it has helped.
    [^]

Jem xxx

Thread Information