Thread: Citalopram Update

Citalopram Update

Hi all,

I finally relented to Citalopram after suffering quite badly for six months. I have been on 10mg for five weeks but noticed no improvement whatsoever. They just seemed to make me really tired, no other real effects.

I have upped my dosage to 20mg this week and have been on that dosage for 3 days. So far no other effects apart from the tiredness has got worse!

Do you think its worth me sticking this out, and if so how long do you think I should give the 20mg before going back to the docs?

thanks a lot,
    Gareth

*** I think, therefore I'm anxious ***

Hi Gareth,
    Give it a few weeks at least, I am on citalopram, and had to up mine to 20mg, although I am back to 10mg again now, and I would say it was at least a few weeks before I felt any better in the 20mg. And the tiredness could just be the anxiety, not neccessarily the tablets.
    Take care
    Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwitten'

Definitely give it a few weeks..It's worth it in the end..

"If life were simple, word would have got around"

Peru83 is offline Intermediate Member
    Hi Gareth

I am on Citalopram, I started on 20mg and am now on 30mg. I found that for the first few weeks (about 5), I too didn't feel any difference. Also with the tiredness I am the same, my doctor told me that Citalopram doesn't make you sleepy it's just the anxiety and depression but when I told my councellor this she told me that she has known Citalopram to be like that. I would say it's definatly a bit of both.

Keep taking them for a while longer, be honest at each reveiw of your tablets ie If your still moody, anxious all the time, not sleeping, crying ect. They will then decide wether or not to up the dose. I would say that Citalopram is really good as now the only prob I have is the tiredness, to be honest I would rather be tired than anxious!lol. It might just be a case of finding the right dose for you, then again the dose your on could be just right. You need to give these things time. Anti D's need at least 4 weeks to be in your system when you first take them and this is the same when you up the dose it takes the body time to re-adjust.

Give it a little more time and I'm sure you will start to feel much better, I did.

Take Carexx

Claire

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!"

Gareth

I have been taking citalopram 20mg for about the same length of time as you.

Like you I am very tired, I never knew I could yawn so much, but I have put it down to anxiety rather than the medication.

I am sticking with it because I do feel overall there has been an improvement and as Claire said, I would rather be tired than anxious!

Stick in there!

Elaine XX

Hi Gareth,

been on citalopram (20 mg) for 4 weeks tomorrow. I don't necessarily think I have yet felt the full effect but they are definitely helping. I'm a lot better.

re tiredness - i too was extraordinarily tired and for me it wasn't the anxiety but definitely the meds. it lasted for about 2-3 weeks (weeks 2 and 3 were really bad) and now is gone. i'm back to normal.

onwards and upwards!

Andie

Thread Information