Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP!!! I AM NEW AND SCARED...

HELP!!! I AM NEW AND SCARED...

Hello, I am new to this and a bit scared about posting to strangers but I have been experiencing the worst 6 months of my life due to panic attacks, or so the Doctors call them, I am still not sure what is wrong with me, but it is ruining my life. I am a 44 year old woman who used to be vibrant and full of life....then one day last summer while relaxing in the sun, I got a wierd feeling up the back of my neck and my throat started closing...That was the begining for me, I wound up on the dining room floor clutching the table legs calling by doctor, sure that I was going to have a stroke or die. Since then, I have panic all of the time, not just 1 attack a day, but all the time, I live on Ativan and wine...I get attacks waking from a deep sleep...my brain feels like its the end, I cant breathe and I get dizzy. There is a constant deep buzzing in my head....I get palpatations and pain in my chest....I am starting counseling...Soem think it is menopause related, I did have a whopper of a stress filled year and now I cant even work...at risk to lose my home...I just want my life back....I hope this wasnt too long, I am new at this. Pam

Hiya Pam

Thats the best thing about posting to strangers, we dont know who you are or where you are so its totally anonymous. Its a great way to get things off your chest and you are in the right place as we all suffer the same here to one degree or another.

Im sorry you are feeling so bad, ive been there and am currently coming out of it the other side. This site has helped me loads if only to let me know im not the only one!!!!

Have a good look round, theres loads of great info on this site.
    Welcome again and I hope you find something on here to help you too.

love Sarah
    xx

Dear Pam,

Nothing is too long here.

Sorry to hear you're really struggling . It's so awful we all know.

Do you understand why you're dizzy and short of breath, have the chest pain and palpitations. They are all extremely common symptoms as is the throat closing sensation..

What are you doing to help yourself as well as the aromatherapy in terms of lifestyle and supplements ?

Why have you chosen ativan and wine as opposed to a SSRI that may give you great relief from your panic cycle ? Or is that in addition to something else ?

It's not the long term answer but at this point taking a regular benzo and alcohol is certainly not going to help you get to a place where you can start to work it all out and heal yourself.

You can get your life back, if you could give some more information it might be easier to advise you .

Hear from you soon

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Hi Pam

Welcome to the site - it's a great place to unburden yourself, say what ever you want, and remain as anonymous ar as recognisable as you like. You really can say and ask anything here, and are always guaranteed a kind considered caring response.

My top tips (learnt from this site are as follows:

EAT - healthily, 5 portions of fruit and veg a day, fresh food, avoid ready meals, eat complex carbohydrates
    DRINK - water, herbal tea, juice, avoid or cut down on alcohol, tea, coffee, caffine filled sodas
    EXERCISE - I hate it so much but even I have to admit that it really does make me feel better (after I've recovered from the exertion that is) I go to the gym and do 40 - 60 minutes cardio and 10 - 20 minutes weights twice a week (believe me, it's enough)
    SUPPLEMENT YOUR DIET - vitamin B complex, vitamin C complex, Omega 3 oils
    CBT (COGNITIVE BEHAVIOURAL THERAPY) - it works. In the UK we can access this on the NHS, maybe you can post requesting recommended therapists in the US from our American forum members
    ACCEPTANCE - accept your condition. Then you can start to conquer it
    RELAXATION - get plenty of sleep. Do plenty of things to relax - yoga, tai chi, reading, embroidery, what ever lights your flame really
    BREATHING - learn how to breathe properly. There are some abdominal breathing exercises on this site
    LEARN TO ENJOY LIFE AGAIN - aim for something that you have always wanted to do, or used to enjoy doing, but don't have the energy for. The sense of achievment you'll feel is great, whether it be going out to social events, restaraunts, cinema, dance classes, theatre, hill walking, whatever.
    DON'T BE TOO HARD ON YOURSELF - take little steps, and keep repeating them
    BELIEVE IN YOURSELF - you WILL over come this
    KEEP A JOURNAL - record your progress, thoughts etc

GOOD LUCK

Charlie

hi Pam.

it is hard as you're new but you will find out that we all have become great friends and can talk about whatevers on our minds to each other. and now you are one of us, 'the fear friends'

if you look at the top tips bit there are some great tips, aswell as mine. the self-hypnosis tape is great, thats my idea. also the bach remedies and other things that are useful are on there posted by other people. Also Charlie hs great tips which you may have already seen above me, i keep a journal too and i have counselling just like you.

ive had mine for ten years but the sooner you do something about it the sooner it will go away. thats where i made my mistake, i didnt do anything straight away. Just remember that we are all here to help every way we can and will always be there for you.

keep posting,

hugs Rachel aka ratchit xx

Hiya Pam,

Welcome to our"FEAR FRIEDLY" forum here. As mentioned before me, there is loads of advice and tips available here. Just take a look around if you are feeling up to it right now.I am confident that you will find something here that will help you. In the meantime, remember we are all here for you. You can post whatever you want, you will not be judged here. We are all sufferers ourselves, so we know what you are going through.Do keep posting to let us know how you are doing, and if you were able to find anything here that may help you. I am sure whilst looking around you are bound to run into your same story written by someone else. We all have been there or are still there, so please don`t feel uncomfortable posting you worst days and fears here.

Take care dear,

Diana xxxxx

P.S. Good luck to ya!!!!!

Thanks to all of you for responding!!! I had a very bad night and just came back from my therapy session. I made a decision to try Zoloft and cut back the wine and Ativan. It is wicked cold here, but I am going to try to walk some. I dont want to take drugs, but I am in such bad shape right now that anything is worth a try....Has anyone had luck with Zoloft????

Blessings, Pam

Well done.

This med is much more useful than your previous choice.

Exercise is so good for anxiety. You could break into a bit of a trot if you're feeling particularly bad ..

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Very nice to meet you pam,
    I too was scared of posting, so my husband used to post for me. (As the forum Members will tell you.) But you took the first step and posted, and that was very brave, well done.

The best advice I can give you is to try and stay calm, relax and if at all possible try and take your mind off things.
    You are in good company here, we have all suffered similar symptoms to yourself, at sometime or another. The good news is you are not alone, you are not going mad and it is possible to make a recovery.

Good luck, keep in touch but most of all try not to worry.

Love, light and Best wishes
    Liz xxx

[] Panic Monster & Scatty Excentric

Hi Pam

It is good that you have found this site as you will get so much help here and we can provide as much support as you need.

Take some time to read a few posts and then you will feel much more at home here.

Also read the info on the main website too - that has loads of help as well.

Let us know if we can help.

Nicola

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information