Thread: Attacking anxiety, stress and depression on all fronts

Attacking anxiety, stress and depression on all fronts

Hello all,

I've had a lot of success lately and just want to share my strategies and hopefully see some of yours on recovery. Here are a few starting with the most effective from my experience...

1) Exercise. Outdoors preferably like walks or hiking. There is a grocery store and my favorite sandwich shop about 1.5 mi from my home. It's rather hilly and a good workout. Find an excuse to get out and sweat a little. My outlook ALWAYS improves for the rest of the day, and usually the next day as well. It will also reduce many of your physiological symptoms.

2) Make excuses to get out of the house. Don't do everything you need to do for the week in one day. Break it up so each day you have something to do. Don't mail stuff from your home. Make a trip to the post office. Even better if you can apply it to rule 1 and walk if it is close enough.

3) Pick a project around the house everyday and complete it. Pick something that you can accomplish and is noticeable, like cleaning something, rearranging furniture or fixing something. This always gives me a feeling of accomplishment no matter how small and I get reminded of it each day if it is noticeable.

4) If you are unemployed, like me, shower, shave and dress up like you are going out each morning even if you are not. Sitting around in my sweats is a constant reminder of my pitiful situation. Looking good seems to erase that. It is funny how you can play tricks on your brain like that. And thank goodness for it.

5) Cook. Look up new recipes that you think might be interesting and treat yourself. Start simple if you are unsure of your abilities. Don't get stuck in the rut of fast and microwaved food. It takes away yet another joy in life and cooking is a valuable ritual that makes life enjoyable.

6) Visit friends and family as often as possible. Invite them over, or go out. Conversations with familiar faces are a good mental battery recharger.

7) Eat healthy. Lots of fruits, vegetables and nuts. Treat meat as a seasoning, not as the main coarse. Take a daily vitamin supplement. I also include B complex for nerves and Calcium and Magnesium for my palpitations. Not sure if it's improved me much but at least I feel like I'm taking care of my self.

8) Make your bed. It seems that a messy unmade bed is a reminder that you never really started your day and is kind of depressing at night when you are getting back into it in such a state.

Hope this will help any one else as well. Add your own please

Eric
    Last edited by Worry-wart; 23-08-09 at 02:34.

Re: Attacking anxiety, stress and depression on all fronts

Eric

Fantastic advises
    Hope everybody will try and take some of your advises.

I will try myself, will start with making bed.

Have a good day

Eric,

All good stuff.

I have found exercise good too. I have even taken this to when travelling on the tube in London I get off a stop early and walk the last bit. It is amazing what you see, hear and feel and it is an easy pick you up for the next bit of the day.

Awesome post, I think there need to be more of these type of posts on here.

I agree especially with the outdoor activities , it really does help. It's even better if you can drag along a friend, that way you get the benefit of the outdoors, the workout, and have no time to dwell on yourself.

Cooking is great too! Having friends over to cook for them is always fun I think as well.

Yoga, and deep breathing have aided me as well.

Also found the perfect comfort food with low a glycemic index (46).

Frozen grapes

I have been buying red grapes (cheapest and sweetest), wash them and pop them in the freezer. When I'm eating these, everything in the world ceases to exist except the sweet frozen nectar of ice cold grapes.

I'm always telling myself I need to go up town even if it's just to buy some fruit.
    I try and get up at the same time, dress, do my hair and makeup (I shower at night lol)
    you know any time I've been too lazy to do my hiar and make up, Someone always seem to call by my house!
    walking is good even better with someone else! I love having someone to go on walks with.I always plan my meals in advance too, just easier for me.

Re: Lightning process

This is an old post but i wondered if judi was still doing well after doing L.P.

Thread Information