Thread: Cipramil - come off gradually or just stop.

Cipramil - come off gradually or just stop.

Hi all, just a quick note!

I am currently taking 10mg of Cipramil (it was 20mg three months ago). As I felt ready to come off these tablets last month, I visited my G.P, who advised me to take the tablets on alternative days, i.e. Monday but not Tuesday, Wednesday but not Thursday, and so on.

I have had no problems thankfully (touching wood as I type). However, I visited a different G.P at my practice two days ago, as I have come to the end of my pack of tablets, and she said I don't need to gradually come off my medication, I can just stop.

As I came out of her room, I felt very confused. Two doctors have opposing views. I thought it was in your best interest to gradually come off anti-depresants like Cipramil???

Help[?]

Jo xxxx

hiya Jo
    Im not a doctor but I am a pharmacy technician and Ive always been taught to tell patients to come off gradually. Im on cipramil at the mo and my doc told me not to stop straight off.
    Because these kinds of drugs alter chemicals in the brain, if you come off too suddenly, I think it will be a bit of confusion for your poor brain. As they are antidepressants, if you come off too quick i should imagine all your emotions will surface too quickly and maybe put you back a little.
    Like i say im not a doctor but thats my opinion having worked in a pharmacy for 11 years.
    (sorry if i sound like im a know it all- i dont mean to)
    Maybe go back and see your normal GP?

Sarah
    xx

Thanks for your reply and advice Sarah!

I actually looked at the pamphlet you receive with your tablets (which is probably the worst thing you can do)and it said, "effects when treatment with Cipramil is stopped too quickly include symptoms such as dizziness, tingling, headache, anxiety and nausea", which doesn't sound at all nice.

I will probably visit my original G.P for conformation, just to make sure!

Take care Sarah

Joxx

Hiya Jo
    I too read all the info on the pateint leaflet and ive also got a pharmacy book which is meant for doctors and pharmacy people. Its got more info in it than the patients leaflet so I think I scared myself half to death when I read it!!! Funny how something that is meant to relieve anxiety has all the side effects that you get when you panic eh?

Sarah
    xxx

Howdy! I'm on cipramil too. On the front of my pack there's a sticker saying not to come off these tablets abbruptly.

On a postive, I'm pretty sure my psychiatrist said these tablets aren't addictive. Personally I'm not in the least bit concerned about coming off medication. It's a good idea to get a second opinion on things like u r doing.

Hi all - I now feel ready to come off my medication but I don't want to spoil my progress in the last month but abrubtly coming off my tablets - do you know what I mean?

Thanks for your advice Sarah/Smudga.

Jo xx

Thread Information