Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: gig dilemma

gig dilemma

hi everyone,
    im going to see the white stripes next friday (23rd jan) and up until this last week ive been really excited about it,but now im dreading it.its years since i last went to see a band in a venue ive just stuck to the big outdoor festivals in the summer.
    last time i was at an event indoors with a large number of people it was my daughters christmas concert for the christmas before last,i couldnt concentrate on the performance at all i was too busy trying to keep my head together,and worrying that everyone was looking at me.
    someone recently suggested i try a bach flower remedies rescue remedy but i daren't even try this in case it makes me feel funny or dizzy.
    i really really want to go next friday and i want to enjoy myself so any help and advice would be really appreciated.
    thanks love em xxx

Hi

Like you I've only been to outdoor festivals, until the Levellers came to Derby last March. I organised a mini bus and bought twenty tickets and suddenly we were going.

I'm not very good at being "out of control", so I decided that I would drive myself down. I was also panicky about going, even though I wanted to go.

I coped by making sure I got a few decent early nights before, made sure I ate properly, practicing my breathing and relaxation exercises for the week BEFORE I went. I found out what time the band was on (9pm) and arrived there for the start of their set, missing out the support as I wasn't that interested, and knew I wouldnt concentrate on them and my mind would wander.

I took my emergency kit with me (tissues, water - although the facist security guard wouldn't let me take it in, one beta blocker - just to know it's there, I never take it - mints, elastic band - to put on your wrist and flick to help "snap" you out of any moments you may have). I parked as near to the venue as I could, did my breathing exercises in the car all the way there.

I got a drink and went into the hall just as they were starting to play. At first I stood with some friends near the back, practicing breathing, but after a few songs, the set got really good, and everybody wanted to bounce around so we went right up the front in the "mosh pit". I've not done that since I was 18 and we used to live at Rock City. It was bloody brilliant.

Before we went I didn't think I could face the crowds and crush of people and the heat, but before I knew it, they were winding up, and we had been at the centre of it for nearly two hours. (I must confess though that I am not as fit as I thought I was and Matt had to carry me out during the penultimate song, because I had foolishly tried singing and jumping up and down simultaneously, and just hadn't got the "puff" for it)

The reason you were like you were over the Xmas concert was probably because you weren't really that interested, and only really wanted to see your daughter perform. With the best will in the world, most of us struggle to concentrate on kids plays, once they have gone off stage.

The White Stripes will be totally different, and I'm sure like me you#ll get carried away with the music.

Bach Flower Remedies will NOT give you any side effects. Take the rescue remedy with you. Sometimes even knowing you have some "weaponary" with you is enough. And don#t be afraid to take it.

And above all ENJOY.

Charlie

Hiya Em,

Do not stress yourself out over this. Like Charlie mentioned, keep some sort of weaponry with you to make you feel secure, whatever that something is that makes you feel safe. I like the rubber band idea, I think I will start wearing one on a regular basis. They have colors so you can match them to any ensemble you are wearing LOL..... . Post to let us know if you find any of the suggestions or anything you find on your own helpful. Good luck, and above all ENJOY, THE WHITE STRIPES!!!!!!

Take care,

Diana xxxxx

Well, after reading all your posts I am feeling DEAD OLD and out of touch [:0]

I have never heard of the White Stripes or the Levellers!! [:I]

Kate x

Me neither Kate.

Sadie told me she was off to see Justin Timberlake. At least I've heard of him even if I couldn't name any of his songs !

Meg

Oh yes, Meg,

I've heard of him as well, I even know some of the songs he does!!!

Kate x

Em I'm sure you will have a great time.

I'm also sure there will security guards or medical staff available, take notice of where they are, just incase you need help.

Try not to worry about the negative things.

Think about how great the concert will be, and what you can tell your friends about it.
    Take lots of deep breaths and try to wear something comfortable and not too warm.
    If you wear a coat or sweater you can wrap it around your waist if you feel yourself getting too hot.

But most of all have a cracking time!

Love, light and Best wishes
    Liz xxx

[] Panic Monster & Scatty Eccentric

youre not old then kate just older than some. i dont know the levellers but i do know the white stripes and jt. and the songs..of course. you dont know any french do you?

hugs rachel xx

hi everyone,
    thanks for the advice,i really like the elastic band idea im going to start that as soon as i can find an elastic band!!
    im worried about the bach flower remedies because i have a friend who used it on her wedding day and she said it made her feel stoned!
    kate,dont worry about been old,how do you think i feel,my 14 yr old daughter came home from school tonight and told me one of her friends will be at the same gig as me.
    my poor daughter will be worried now incase she suffers from "embarrassing mum syndrome"
    thanks again love em xxxx

Em

MAKE SURE YOU TAKE THE RUBBER BAND OFF AT NIGHT! They cut your circulation off otherwise.

Bach Flower remedies have never made me feel stoned. Are you sure she didn't just feel like that after an overwhelming sense of relief came over her as she realised that her wedding day had gone well, the groom turned up, and the best man remembered the rings?

If I've been through a really stressful situation, the resultant sense of relief can leave me totally drained and spaced out.

THE LEVELLERS HAVE BEEN AROUND SINCE THE EIGHTIES. Young people haven't heard of them. They are quite rocky with a irish/fiddle bias though, and although they have a very big following, due to the state of british music today, they don't get air play. Infact we saw them circa 1988 in Manchester supporting New Model Army, before they had their first record deal!

Just try not to worry / think too much about it, and HAVE FUN. Age has got nothing to do with it!

Charlie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information