Thread: Cit side-effects?

Cit side-effects?

My doctor put me back on cit about a month ago to 'stabilise' me after a bad depressive/anxiety attack. I went through the usual 'worse-before-it-gets-better' cycle, but now I seem to be suffering some of the other side-effects. Drowsy, dull headachey feeling, vague nausea, some dizziness, dry mouth in the night etc. I was only on cit for about a month back in January this year and then came off, so I haven't much experience with it, but I do recall some dizziness back then which I just put down to an infection, but I guess that could have been a side-effect too. Does anyone know whether side-effects should persist this long? Does it mean they aren't going to go away and cit isn't for me? Should I halve my dose to 10mg per day? Maybe I should just go back to prozac, not really sure why I switched in the first place...

Re: Cit side-effects?

hey, I started on 20mg and my side effects were the same and lasted a good 5 weeks. I'm on them 8/9weeks now, I still get some random dizzy spells but that's all. Emotionally I feel alot better and more relaxed than I was. The side effects definitely pass, you won't have them constantly or forever. However if they are unbearable then talk to you doctor.

Have a look for psychopoets post on citalopram, it's a big document he put together and it's brilliant. Nothing better than reading about it from someone with experience of it, it will answer alot of the questions you might have while you're adjusting to the pills.

Hope this helps!

Hi
    I have been on citalopram for a few months now and found that the longer you are on them, the side effects subside and I no longer get any, except I notice that if I take the citalopram on an empty stomach then I end up with stomach aches and pains.
    The side effects did not go away at 6 weeks nor work fully at 6 weeks - it took longer for me, but now they do work, despite having good and bad days on them. The good days far outweigh the bad.

Thanks for the advice both. The pills are definitely working, despite the side-effects, so I think perhaps I'll cut back to 10mg and see how that works. Maybe I'll try taking them in the evening as well. I have been taking them first thing and skipping breakfast, then getting a terrible upset stomach by the time I get to work with a resultant rush for the lav. Clearly not a good idea...

Hi again
    Just read your post. I definitely every time when I take my citalopram without food an on an empty stomach, get a really bad stomach. I find it doesnt happen if I take with food. Maybe its just me, but maybe its worth you taking your tablet with food and see if it helps your stomach.
    When I first went onto citalopram my gp started me on 10mg as he said 20mg is too high an amount to begin with, and that by starting on a lower dose of 10mg and gradually increasing it over the weeks, it reduces the side effects.
    Whenever I increase my dose I now do it in 5mg stages as recommended to me by someone on this site, and it really does ease the side effects.
    Hope this helps. Try and bear with it all, because in my case anyway, I really find the tablets help a lot, it just takes time for the body to adjust to them.

Thread Information