Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jury Service

Jury Service

OMG I have just come back from babysitting my grandson to find a letter to say that I have been called for Jury Service on 19th October!

There is NO WAY on this earth that I can do it - I cant even travel on a bus at the moment.

Last time I was called up for Jury Service (about 10 years ago) is what started all my problems in the first place - I was terrified.

I just dont know what do do - I feel like just running away - family will say "you'll be fine!" but they really dont understand. Has anyway had the same thing happen to them? what can I do........

Karen xxx

Re: Jury Service

Hi Karen

I have never done jury service, but found this which maybe of some help..

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Disabled...urt/DG_4018635

I do hope someone can pop along and give you some advice hun, I know its hard for you put try not to worry, you WILL sort things out hun

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILL XX

------------------------------------------

"Every thought you think changes your
    biochemistry.
    Your hormones are effected by your
    thoughts.
    Pay attention to stuff that bring you
    joy.
    Look for things that bring you a
    SMILE"

---------------------------------

Karen,

I had this happen to me a few years back. I was so upset. I know that my mother was able to get a doctors letter saying she was physically unable to do that. If that's not possible for you then you can do it. I have a sweet dad that actually dropped me off at the courthouse and picked me up everyday. Do you have anyone who could do that? If not, you can ride public transportation. I was not going to try to drive downtown. Anyway, I did take sleeping pills at night to help me relax and they have a bit of a hangover effect which helped me relax during the day. If I was to do it again, I would take a xanax during the day. Do you have anything you can take that would help you relax? You may not need it and I'm not pushing this. I just know how much it helps me. Well, I figured I would be like most people that are called to jury duty and be sent home after 2 or 3 days. They actually picked me to be on a jury. I couldn't believe it! It was a murder case about a day care worker who had been accused of shaking an infant to death. It was a very emotional, interesting case and I'm really glad I was on the jury now that I look back. There were a lot of immature people on there who were ready to convict even with "reasonable doubt". Anyway, I won't go into that.

My mom, who knows of my anxiety issues, told me later, See, you can really do more that you thought you could".

Try not to worry about it, chances are you won't be selected, but who knows? You will make it thru. If you aren't opposed to taking some mild sedatives, then you might think about it. I don't mean something to "knock you out", just something to take the edge off.

You can do it, If I did, anyone can.

Ro

Thank you both for your replies,

I haven't got anyone who can drop me off at the court as its in London. And I cant even get a bus to the local shopping centre let alone a train into London (during rush hour). I really cant do it at all. I do appreciate your support.

Thank you xxx

karen

Karen,

I don't know how it works in London, since I live in the U.S. Do you ever see a doctor about your anxiety? Do you have one you can really talk to about this? Perhaps, he can write a letter for you saying you are emotionally unable to serve or something like that. Maybe it works different where you live. Over here, there is a certain day that you can appear with the letter to see if you can be excused. Just an idea.

Ro

Hi Ro,

First of all thank you for you replies.

I have seen GP about anx and am on meds for it - although cannot talk to her she isnt very good - only at writing out prescrptions.

I have tried to contact a psychiatrist that I was under a few years back when I was called for Jury service last time, but unfortunately he hs retired. His daughter has apparently taken over some of his cases, I have telephoned her secretary today and I am waiting to hear back from them.

I will just have to keep my fingers crosses as the moment I cant think of anything else!

Karen xx

Karen,

Good luck. Hope you hear back from them soon. Maybe the new doctor can help you out with this.

Keep me posted how you get on.

Ro

Karen

if you are medically unfit to do this and it is causing you so much extra anxiety just phone and ask to speak to a doctor. Are there more than one in your practice??? They will be able to provide a letter of exemption for you - do not stress yourself further - make that phonecall in the morning!!!!

Take care

Chantelle

Dear Karen I'm sure that either your doctor or the psychiatrist will be able to exempt you from jury service. Please try not to beat yourself up about it. The psychiatrist might want to see you so that she can provide a medical report. Take care. If you have been a patient in a psychiatric hospital this exempts you any way (as I have) Best wishes. Jane.

Hi Karen

Go to your GP and tell them

You can get a note exempting you on health grounds

This used to be one of my biggest fears and my GP said a note would do

Hope this helps

Luv Kaz x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information