Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pulmonary Embolism

Pulmonary Embolism

Is there anyone on here that knows someone who has had a pulmonary embolism (a blood clot in the lungs) or know alot about them.

I know the classic symptoms are sudden chest pain, shortness of breath including rapid breathing and difficulty breathing.

I have had some bad chest pains since sunday thats why i had my ECG done yesterday wouldn't have thought anything bad was found otherwise i would have known.

I am slightly out of breath and i am worried that maybe i could have a small one in my lungs that could get bigger i worry even more because apparaently 70% of people with pulmonary embolism go undiagnosed and blame it on other things such as asthma etc i have asthma so if i had one they would probably say it was asthma causing it.

I wonder if you get sudden chest pain or chest pain which comes and goes like me, i am getting sharp pains in the middle of my chest not constantly but quite abit, but surely if i had a pulmonary embolism i would have very bad breathing difficutlies as well?

I am constantly feeling very tired and worn out as well.

I am also feeling very dizzy, had this for past 2 weeks, going to see doc next week to ask about this dizziness.

I would appreciate any advice and comments, thanks.

Hi Andrew,
    I don't know much about them but was in hospital recently with a suspected one.
    I was told you'd have constant chest pain, a racing heart, breathing problems and the symptoms wouldn't settle at all even at night. There would also be ECG changes in the right side of the heart as well as abnormalities on some blood tests.
    I still get chest pain and breathless and worry sometimes that they missed a small one in me too but I have to trust that they knew what they were doing and the fact that I am still here four weeks later is good too!
    It sounds like yours is anxiety and you're worrying about the ECG results. If they had found something wrong they would have contacted you, also if your gp suspected a clot he/she would have sent you for more tests.
    LJ

Thanks for your reply LJ, another thing i seem to have is slight pain when breathing in which i know is another sign and i am very worried about this, also i have a very tight chest constantly which could possibly be caused by my asthma maybe anxiety or even a blood clot.

My peak flow has gone down quite abit by around 40-50, i keep taking my inhalers but it doesnt really help that's why i think it could be something serious.

I know a blood clot kills you quite quickly and i have had these problems for 3 days but i do worry.

As i said i went to the doctors on monday complaining of slight breathing problems and a tight chest and pains in the chest and she sent me for an ECG i know it causes a right ventricular strain if you have a blood clot but the nurse who did the ECG said the doctor would do the report for the ECG yesterday afternoon and then send the results back to my doctor i just hope the results were ok and i hope i have not got a blood clot, i cannot stop thinking and worrying about things though especially when i have all these horrible symptoms!!!!

Hi,
    What you are describing are classical anxiety symptoms again, it is all to do with worrying, the more you worry the worse they get, try to do something to take your mind off of it and they will soon go away.
    Take Care
    Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwitten'

These all the symptoms i am having.

1.feeling very tired and worn out.
    2.chest tightness.
    3.chest pains.
    4.feel slightly out of breath.
    5.feel very hot.
    6.feel dizzy and light-headed.

Peak flow is down to 330, mine is normally between 350-400.

Worried mainly about constant chest tightness pains and breathing, all are typical classic pulmonary embolism symptoms!!

Andrew,
    They are all classic anxiety symptoms too, try not to worry. I have had all the symptoms you mention in the past and have alot of them now too.
    Take care,
    LJ

Hello Andrew
    My friend had a pulmonary embolism 2 years ago(she is still here to tell the tale).She said the chest pain was like worse than any pain she had ever felt(and she has given birth twice!!)
    I am almost certain this is your anxiety.As i type this ,i too have really bad chest pain and breathlessness but im just trying to sit it out

Hope you feel better soon
    Hunnyxx

Normally there are risk factors for getting a pulmonary embolism, i know most people at risk are elderly people who spend alot of time in bed, people who are pregnant or just had a child, people who are obese, people who have had operations and have spent alot of time in bed.

Even thought i have none of these risk factors i could still get/have a pulmonary embolism.

I read that large or multiple blood clots in the lungs can cause sudden death, and that 1 in 10 people who have a pulmonary embolism die if left untreated as it is a very serious condition, i was i could stop worrying about it!!!

AD,

As you yourself point out *i have none of these risk factors*

So why do you think, being objective and rational here , you would get a *large or multiple blood clots in the lungs * as a first one ever, rather than a little one or even none at all....

It's extremely highly unlikely.

Also, this time it may have been 3 days that you've been struggling this time, but these are not new symptoms for you, you have had them intermittantly for months also with these same fears about a clot and have been investigated for this but have been declared healthy.

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Even if i only had a small blood clot it would get bigger and kill me.

These chest pains i have had in the last 3 days are the worst i have had yet, i haven't beend eclared healthy by my doctor infact she has hardly said anything, she sent me for a ECG yesterday and i don't know yet what the results of that are so i am still worried.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information