Thread: Painful joints a side effect?

Painful joints a side effect?

Hello,

This is my first post on this forum. I suffer periods of severe anxiety and depression and have taken Sertraline in the past with no adverse effects. I've been through a bad patch recently due to a difficult relationship and subsequent break-up, and eventually decided to try Citalopram because it's meant to be particularly good for anxiety. I had some of the common side-effects for the first week but that settled down. This was in June. I'm up to 40 mg now. Psychologically I'm much better now, but for the past three weeks my joints have started becoming painful and there is some swelling. It's so bad now that I can hardly ride my bike as I can't use the handbrakes. Getting out of bed, getting dressed and picking up everyday objects is now quite painful and I've started waking up at night with the pain. It's frightening me to be honest.

I've had blood tests which have all been fine and my GP is puzzled. I'm taking anti-inflammatories, paracetamol and codeine to cope with the pain but it's not very effective. Joint pain is listed as a rare side effect of Citalopram; has anyone else had similar symptoms? And has anyone suffered side effects that come on several weeks or months after starting the drug?

Very grateful for any comments!

Kat

Re: Painful joints a side effect?

Sorry to hear that these have caused you so much discomfort ..I did get joint pain ,but it has settled now,thankgoodness .Its not recommended to take anti inflammatorys with these as it can lead to stomach bleeding .You obviously are allergic to them and I wonder why your Dr hasnt perscribe Sertaline for you again ? as they were obviously ok the first time .Personally I would cut right down slowly ,and get off them ,.Too much pain is terrible and can cause depression . I hope you feel better SOON and get perscribed something that works for you .Hugs Sue

Many thanks for your reply, Sue. Did your joint pain happen in the beginning of treatment, and how long did it last? I'm just a bit confused by the fact that my problems have started several months in. I decided to try Citalopram because they are specially recommended for anxiety and I wasn't sure how helpful Sertraline had been in the past. But I'm definitely cutting down now to see if that has any effect.

Take care,

Kat

Yes it was at the beggining ,it lasted for a few months .I do get joint pain normally due to a bit of artritis but it was so much worse for a while .Funnily enough I have been better the past few months than I have for a very long time .Been on them now for nearly 11months .If nothing showed up on your tests it must be the pills .I wouldnt be able to stand being in so much pain all the time ,it wears you down .I hope by cutting down it will get better and maybe you could try something else ,there are others that help with anxiety ,but that said I dont think the pills alone can get rid of anx completely .All the best Sue x

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

A lot of the SSRIs seem to have "pain in muscles/joints" as a side effect. I never had any problem with citalopram but since being on sertraline for the past week, l've got a lot of muscle aches. If it carries on l'll see my GP.

Yeh, strange that you should should get it so late in your treatment Tuvstarr but l'm sure it's nothing serious ... these drugs seem to affect us in different ways at different times. )
    Mel

Hi Tuvstarr,

I have suffered joint pain for the last 2-3 weeks, I am 5 months in with citalopram but I would have never associated this kind of pain with the medication! I have been doing alot of work in the house, so I would say the problem stems from there but it does make you wonder when the pain is always there, I am getting to the point where I am starting to think I am starting with athritis.

I think I may need to go to the docs!

I have been on sertraline 100 mg for two months now, I have very bad joint pain especially in my knees, I am worried, the psychiatrist says she has never heard of this side affect......has any one else had the same problem? I only have to sit down for half hour and can not really sit on the floor now as it get uncomfortable in my knees very quickly :OS I did nt have a problem before!

Thread Information