Thread: Brain Zaps

Brain Zaps

I've been on Citalopram for around 2 years. On occasion I tend to have very minor 'brtain zaps'. This will result in a slight feeling of light headedness. Nothing to really worry about and nothing that really concerns me.

Today, however, I have what I would describe as a massice brain zap. It felt a normal zap but this time it was much, much stronger. I immediately felt very dizzy and my vision was very blurred. As I sttod up, because I panicked, I felt as if I were staggering (much like when you are drunk) and I felt as if I were going to collapse.

Is this just a side-effect of my meds? Remember, I'm NOT withdrawing from the meds. No change in dosage etc. I have made an appointment with my doc in any case.

Has anyone else experienced such a thing?

Thanks

Andy

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Re: Brain Zaps

Hi
    Some people seem to be prone to these "head shocks". I used to get them a lot after I came off Paroxetine (Seroxat) but haven't really had them since. One thing l noticed is that it appears to cause a sudden drop of blood pressure so you feel really dizzy for a moment or so, and seems to be triggered by moving your eyes from side to side quickly.
    I have looked into all this and although they're a bit frightening they're harmless so don't worry too much. (I asked several Drs about head zaps and they haven't got a clue about them...)
    Mel77

Hi, i have been having head zaps for a couple of years now. I do not take any medication at all, ever!
    Doctors know about them but cannot explain then, but they are harmless.
    Some of mine are worse than others and i can go for a while without any and then have a day when i have them all the time. They are scary no matter how many you have and how long they last for. Horrible feeling.
    xx

I can get these "brain zaps" an actual feeling of zaps across my head if I sleep too much!

Thanks Melancholia
    I gave up Cipralex a month ago and was starting to worry cause I've been getting brain zaps when I move my eyes.You've answered my question for me
    Phill

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

I have suffered from symptoms like your head just suddenly jolts for years and i was really worried about this and it would make me feel more anxious. Then someone mentioned about brain zaps and so i googled it and it made sense and im glad its not anything to worry about and all to do with anxiety.

Funny, it's 5 am and I am having the brain zaps/jumps in bed. They terrify me. I missed my meds and now it is screwing me up. Any suggestions besides caffeine? I just hate it waking me up and not letting me sleep.

I've never had brain zaps with citalopram, but I did get them coming off paroxitine. They are pretty scary.

Thread Information