Thread: Worrys about glands & cancer

Worrys about glands & cancer

Hi im new to this site read hoping someone can reassure me of my worrys.
    I was recently *8 months ago diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and as you can imagine this causes some degree of anxiety.
    Ive had worrys of cancer for about 7 years now due to a testicular cancer scare which was checked by numerous doctors and turned out nothing other than inflammation and a small cyst, since then i have had worrys of cancer always thinking to myself the doctors could of been wrong and so on.
    Recently I read on google about glands after feeling some tightness inbetween my legs occasionally...after prodding around down there i felt what felt like tubes veins and lumps not particularly big and not sore but i cant stop checking now im practically obsessed with checking this area for lumps.
    I went to the doctor about it last week who didnt even bother checking and said as long as it wasnt sore and there are no obvious bumps its probably nothing, so my question is really is it normal if you press into the creases of your legs to be able to feel veins/lumps/vessels and so on?
    I had never previously checked until this last week.
    Also in the last 8 months since being put on medication for my schizophrenia i have put on allot of weight (due to meds & not leaving house) would this increase of weight perhaps hide swollen glands if they were indeed swollen?
    I feel like im going further and further out of my mind with worry about my health my body is constantly twitching all over because of anxiety i really wish i could just turn my brain off sometimes,
    Anyway bit of a long post hope someone out there can shed some light on my questions about my groin and if its normal to be able to feel things in the crease of your leg if you push in.
    Thanks

Re: Worrys about glands & cancer

Hi, Please dont worry. It is very normal to be able to feel what you do around your groin.

Thanks for the reply i just get myself into a state of worry when ever i find something new id never really pressed around inbetween my leg creases before and after reading stuff up on the internet about lymphatic cancer i got very worried iv made myself a bit tender from all the prodding around i think

With regards to my groin could poking around at the area constantly make the glands feel tender? They were fine yesterday but this morning i woke up and to touch they feel quite tender..I know the obvious thing to do would be to stop touching but now im worried and cant stop checking.
    Has all this prodding around really made that area tender or is it something else its only really tender when i press in on them when im walking about or what ever i dont notice them
    If anyone could respond that would be great thanks
    Last edited by luke1982; 06-09-09 at 14:41.

Anyone know?
    Would love if someone could tell me yes they feel things in the creases of their legs if they push and if it would start to get tender if they did it allot.
    Also i have a tightness in my right groin crease ive had it off and on for about two to three months now doesnt hurt just general tight feeling as i said before did put on allot of weight last few months (4 stone) so the pressure from the flab could be causing the tight feeling as well as a tad bit of dry skin in the area.
    Really losing my mind over this

Its hardly surprising that area feels sore and tight with you constantly probing and thinking about that area, i can feel some small nodes on my neck and sometimes when i really obsess my neck feels sooo tight and sore, i think aswell when you concentrate on that area the muscles tense up, i have found this with alot of anxiety symptoms, i am gradually stepping away from my lymphnode/gland scare and guess what no pain!!!

I know whats its like not being able to control the fear that you feel but it is anxiety magnifying things, and yes i think most people can feel what you feel in their groin area, your doctor has said you are fine, so try not to worry .

I picked up a really handy leaflet about health anxiety from a mental health centre, and they had about 8 pages about people like us who obsess and look for lumps, might be worth picking one up, made me feel immediately better

Thanks for the reply. Well iv left my left side alone and it doesnt hurt/is tender so i guess your right. The right hand side is still a bit sore to touch if I press in but not agony just tender. Im hoping I can get over this soon

have you tried CBT? i start mine in October, but after my first assessment and reading a leaflet about how HA makes you feel made me feel better and reminded me i am not alone in this, so many people with anxiety have the same fears and they are usually over nothing.

I really hope you can get over this to, i obsessed about it for months on end where it was ruining my life, but as i find with anxiety as long as you have it there is always something to worry about.

Hope you get the help you need

Iv had cbt a long time ago when the doctors thought I was suffering from depression turned out I actually suffer from schizophrenia and now have monthly visits from a psy doctor and a community psychiatric nurse every couple of weeks.
    They have offered me to join clubs with people with similar problems which involve going out for walks going to the gym and so on but iv not had the courage to join up. I get allot of support from my partner and family but feel guilty for putting them through my constant barrage of annoyances/obsessions currently to do with my glands.
    Its ruining my life too iv not had any motivation lately its all I can think about my relationship is suffering from it I cant be bothered to do house work and sometimes I cant even be bothered to jump in the shower, although I always do but it takes me a long time to do anything these days without a bit of pushing.
    Today iv refrained from poking around and im not so tender a few weeks ago I thought I had a swollen gland under my arm pit and poked around there for a while causing it to be sore it turned out that it was just fat because I had put on allot of weight.

Thread Information