Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: My son has am I gay question

Re: My son has am I gay question

Quote Originally Posted by ladybird64 View Post
    I have been reading this with interest but as I have no real knowledge of OCD, have refrained from comment.
    I woud like to add something though to saphires post though. Of course you are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine and I feel that your description of depression is way off the mark.
    I am glad to see that you are recovering by yourself with the help of positivity but I note from your past posts that you have taken anti-depressants, I assume becuase you thought they would help and not because your doctor forced you to take them. Many people on this forum, including myself are not negative creatures by nature, but you seem to think that by being surounded by positivity, our depression will lift and magically disappear.
    You say that depression does not exist and is just an emotional state unless we are talking of something like bipolar, I totally disagree.
    Surely you must realise that just because you take a "label" away from something that doesn't mean that it ceases to exist anymore? To not acknowledge an illness (and I do belive it's an illness) and to assume that it can all be overcome by "encouraging people to help themselves" and not offering any other help in a crisis situation is dangerous. It actually reminds me of the "pull yourself together" school of thinking, which is not much comfort and may actually be dangerous to someone who had been depressed for so long that they feel they cannot go on any longer.
    Too many people have taken their own lives due to depression. To ignore that fact is insulting to those who suffer from it, those that are ill.

Just my opinion.
    I agree! To be sad usually means there is a reason like a bereavement, break up of a relationship, family illness etc but depression is usually much more then that and people can feel extremely unhappy and not even know why sometimes. That probably makes it even more frustarting to feel so bad and yet not see any reason or any way out.
    Saphire, people who seek help for depression or other problems are not giving up on helping themselves, they are always helping themselves, but therapists, meds, cognitive behavioral therapy, counselling etc are there to assist. It is always "you" that ultimately changes and pulls yourself out of the situation you are in but all these things are there for support, and it very often does work and does help people so where is the harm in it.

Hi there,
    My depression when I had it was not like the description you are given off it laila...and I deffinately didnt have Bi-polar either..Thanks to god I dont suffer with it anymore I have anxiety and panic disorder..Depression is much more than just having an unhappy day.

Sorry I'm jumping in this thread in the deep end but, there are kind of a number of camps here. There are HOCD people, straight people, bicurious people, bisexual people (quite often with preferences one way or the other) and there are gay people.

All of those are ok, and all are possibilities

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread Information