Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sertraline drowsiness

Sertraline drowsiness

I'm on day 10 of taking Sertaline 50mg and in the last two days have felt really drowsy and needing to sleep for a short time in the afternoon (I take first thing in the morning). Has anyone else experienced this? I find it odd that only started to effect me this way in the last couple of days, but in saying that other side effects have calmed down a little in the last couple of days.

Some sites say drowsiness is a common side effect effecting 1 in 10 and some say it could be OD symptoms, as I've only took 50mg per day as prescribed I'm assuming this is just common.

Re: Sertraline drowsiness

Hi I started of on 50mg Sertraline & over a few months my dosage was increased to 150mg. At first they did make me feel drowsy but this soon wore off and I was left with the opposite effect. Unable to sleep. I found myself roaming around the house at all hours unable to sleep, my low mood worsened & I became so tearfull. I am currently seeing my GP & Physciatric Nurse regularly. On Friday it was decided by my GP & CPN that my medication be changed to Mirtazipine. I have only taken 15mg for 2 nights now. I have slept really well, with lifelike dreams, feel drowsy in the day time. As yet I cannot say they have helped my mood. I am so worried about the side effect of weight gain. I am a comfort eater & 4 stone overweight as it is. I dont know if its in my head but I am having a real munchie attack craving chocolate which is not like me as I normally crave savoury things. The worst being crisps. After 2 weeks time I have to increase my dosage to 30mg to be taken at night.

I know this does'nt answer your question & I'm giving you more of an insight into my new med. I just wish there was someone else in my position able to talk about the change from Sertraline to Mirtz.

I wish you well & hope it works for you. You can only stick with it for a few months & see how you go.

Good luck, let me know how you get on.

Jackie.

Hi Panic33

I am on sertraline 150mg at the moment. I have been on 50 mg for the last 13 years, but had to increase my dosage as i have had a reoccurance of Anxiety/Depression.

I do think the increase has contributed to my tiredness along with the anxiety and depression.

I also beleive that the body gets used to the drug as time goes by because previously, once i settled on 50 mg, the drowsyness went.

Did you have increase anxiety at first. Mine went through the roof but has subsided a bit now.

Take care

Sue

Thank you for your replies. I had increase anxiety and panic attacks from day 1 (very scary), I've had no panic attacks for the last 4 days and my anxiety has gone down to about what it was before I started the Sertaline in the last two days, but both days I've felt drowsy about2/3 o'clock - I take my med at 9am.

Felt normal all day till around 5pm, now back to anxiety - but defo think the med working. Hoping the normal feeling will last thro the day when been on longer.

So glad you had some "feeling back to normal" time. As you say probably the ad's starting to kick in.

I have had a fairly good day too with some "normal" time. I notice when i start to get tired the anxiety can creep back in, also worse in the mornings.

Hope you have another good day tomorrow.

Take care

Sue

Glad you had good day sue. Think it may have been tiredness with me aswell - last two days I've have to lie down mid afternoon, today I couldn't then got tired about 5 then the anxiety came back.
    U 2 have a good 1 tomoz

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

How's the sertraline going Panic33?

Hi Melancholia,

Been alot better (now day 15), but still getting spells of anxiety - not as bad as before tho. I think I need the dosage up'in slightly - going give another week and then see GP I think.

How are you going?
    [Worrying won't protect - it doesn't help and can only make worse. Short term relief of anxiety by google etc doesn't help in the long run and the fact your acting on it only makes worse - let it pass over you

"Rem it kicks in at the unconscious level, thats why, triggers are the cause, remeber the anxiety is like the adrenal system kicking in fight or flight for what you think is no reason, the unconscious is the part that fires this responce"]

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Hi Panic
    I'm finally settling on the med l think. l feel well (hyper even!) during the day, but a bit depressed during the night. I'm lucky not to have had a panic attack tho...
    I wouldn't up dose till at least 6 weeks - by then you know whether it's working or not. The effective daily dose is 50mg, however everyone's different. Also a higher dose just gives you more side effects and makes it harder to withdraw...
    See what your doc says...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information