Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirtazapine side effects?

Mirtazapine side effects?

Hiya,

I have been on 4 different types of SSRIs, and after coming off seroxat at the end of August because of 'health' difficulties, my doctor and the psychiatrist thought I should try something different.

The thing is, I took my first dose of Mirtzapine Thursday night, and it knocked me out, which was great as have barely been sleeping, but after doing the same thing the following night (I spent most of Friday in bed), I then ended up spending the whole weekend in bed feeling sick and dizzy, and actually was quite ill with it on the Friday.. I haven't taken any since as they made me feel so ill...

I was just wondering if anyone thinks it's worth trying to get through these effects (I felt really drunk on them, and the room was spinning), or if it's a problem and I should go back to the doctor. I am a little confused at the moment as I didn't really want to take them in the first place, and this has made me even more wary!

Thanks,

Hannah

"Suddenly I see, this is what I want to be, Suddenly I see, why the hell it means so much to me"

HIya Hannah

Like you I have tried a few different meds, the last one of which was Mirtazapine. I have not settled on it unfortunately - I have been on it a month and have felt pretty yuk all that time and eating masses too which is not good as am already overweight. I slept well on it but felt very spacey all day long and then by the evening was having head shocks - a bit like the ones you get when soming off ssri's. I was on the lowest dose of 15 mg. Having persevered for a (very difficult) month, I saw the GP today and am now coming off it. I have heard some good things about it though, it just didn't work for me. I wish you good luck with whatever you decide to do Hannah,

best wishes,

Clare

Hi Hannah

Due to the change of chemicals brought by the SSRI, you're bound to get side effects , and all SSRIs are individually different, you may respond better to some than others.
    I have tried mirtazapine once myself, and had the same experience as yours. Not nice.
    Usually, the side effects lessen and pass after a couple of weeks, but for some people it's far too much to handle ( which is my case ) .
    If you think you "can" manage with it for the first weeks, then stick to it... you may feel much better after.
    The side effects are very common, I dont think it's abnormal.
    If you need more advices, maybe you should see your doc again.
    Good luck.
    Florence.

*He who loses money, loses much; He who loses a friend, loses much more, He who loses faith, loses all.*

Re: Mirtazapine side effects?

Just taken first pill of Mirtazipine last night, feel sleepy/spacey which is increasing anxiety but because I am so sleepy it s not getting out of control. I hope that the side effects dont worsen im also very clumsy today but I am going to persever after starting and withdrawing from medications over last few weeks. Here's hoping.

I've been on it for 8 years and it's been a godsend. At the start I did feel a bit spaced out and slept a lot (not a bad thing). I went off it for a period and when I re-started it had the same side effects but it does settle down. I'd try to stick it out for a couple of weeks and if it's still causing problems go back to the gp. Our bodies take a while to adjust to different medications. I now find that it still helps get me off to sleep but I don't have the hangover effect the next day.

Been on this stuff a week now. will let you know what happens. i am getting a good sleep but strange nitemares.

Guess Hubber you gave up on Anafranil! So did I after it made my mouth and tongue so sore I couldnt bear it now on loferamide and ssshhhh it seems to be working

Joy

I had no choice as i was so ill and eventually sectioned and ijn hospital for over a month.

sorry i cant help you as i wasnt able to tolerate mirtazapine

Hi Hannah

Like you I just started 15mg of Mirtz on Friday night for two weeks then I have to up dosage to 30mg for a further 2 weeks. My GP is going to monitor how I am doing on them. Have to go back & see her Tues morning.

Like you I slept brilliantly Fri & Sat night, was almost 11am before I could drag myself out of bed in the morning.

However, tomorrow morning I have a family funeral at 9.30am to attend and on Tues morning I have my GP's appointment at 8.45am so therefore I am not going to take my Mirtz because if they continue to make me feel so sleepy & struggle to get out of bed I will make neither of these two important dates.

I think I can cope with the sleeping & lying in of a morning, the sleepiness during the day but what really concerns me is the side effect of weight gain as I cannot afford to put on more weight!!

Over the years I have gained weight, I put this down to being on various different types of anti depressants, also I am a comfort eater & for me the two are a killer. I put my weight gain down to part of my depression & panic attacks as I do not want to be out in public.

I did loss a job I was in for 22 years due to my absences from work caused by my depression, then I was made redundant there in June from the new job I got after getting back on the employment ladder. So here I am again. Out of work, in the depths of despair & prescribed another new medication!

I hope you keep me posted about how you are or are not progressing with Mirtz as I will keep you informed of my progression. Please also let me know of your side effects.

Best of luck

Jackie

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information