Thread: ...is this strange?

...is this strange?

I -think- what I have is a social phobia, but I'd be tempted to call it an 'food phobia', really. I hate to eat certain things in front of other people, I could go out and have say, a chocolate bar in front of one hundred people, but I find it hard to actually sit and eat something proper.
    Also, the strange part, I can't stand words that are connected with food, I had to put 'eat something proper' as opposes another more related word/phrase, for example. Anything to do with the description of food/eating, I hate....it makes me cringe and feel a bit angry inside. Has anyone else experienced this?

Re: ...is this strange?

I suffer social phobia and although I don't have this particular phobia, many social phobia sufferers do. As to the words the only thing I can think of is visualizing what you fear can often cause an anxious reaction. So the words might offer a strong enough link to create a similar reaction. I would disagree about it being a food phobia. There are food phobia's and the people who have them can't eat that type of food if they are being observed or not. The key is the being observed part which is what makes it a social phobia. As most social phobias are fears of being observed.

All the best

John
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear.
    From the book Dune by Frank Herbert

Yeh I have something similar. I can talk about food quite happily, though.

I'll let you know when I find a way to get over it.

In my experience, I can also eat some things in front of people, yet when it comes to other things I freak out.

Another thing that's happened that's slightly related to this thread, maybe, is that whenever I'm eating one thing and other people start talking about other food, or food in general it just puts me off it, as if by making me realise I'm eating I want to stop? Sounds well weird, I know, cant explain it in any other way. It's like I'm full up straight away, when I'm not.

I know this cant really cause eating disorders etc but it has made eating less fun, I now only eat when I need to, and don't really care what it is as long as it's healthy and that's in front of people but also by myself.

Meh, I dont know.

Hi Laloula,

I think your on the right track. I think when you hear people talking about food as you are eating you become more aware of what you are doing. Also it can put that seed of doubt in you head that the reason they are talking of food might be because of you. The fact you suddenly feel full could simply be because you then become more anxious. Anxiety often makes us loose our appetite.

All the best

John
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear.
    From the book Dune by Frank Herbert

Thanks John =]

I thought it might be soemthign like that, it's taken me a while to be able to focus on other things while eating, like talking and being social haha.
    Small steps.

I used to be able to wolf down a baguette on the bus but those days are gone, of course it was only when I became self-aware and overtly-conscious of other passengers that eating in public stopped.

Sometimes I can go into a corner and nibble on a sandwich, a handful of chips or a biscuit but never without all the uncomfortable, mental gymnastics it brings.

I don't really eat in the true sense until I'm safely home and even there it's best if there's no-one else in, I realize how bad that sounds. But I also realize it's a simple case of "aware of yourself versus blissfully unaware".

I still try eat in public if I feel up to it. I take advantage of my sense of security when it peaks and act normal, try drink some water so my swallowing isn't so loud.

Sometimes I wish no-one could ever hear me swallow or choke, then I could do anything. Maybe I'll have to imagine that.

Thread Information