Thread: Insomnia makes anxiety worse?

Insomnia makes anxiety worse?

Basically what the title says...I have been suffering from bouts of insomnia. I barely slept last night and woke up ridiculously early...I have been anxious all day and have been having trouble breathing (air hunger) and have felt restless and tense all day...are these connected?!

- Emily Brontė

"No matter how irrational I may sound, it's real to me"

Re: Insomnia makes anxiety worse?

I've found lack of sleep makes me a lot worse than usual. I tend to find anything that makes me prone to being more emotional like that time of the month or lack of sleep usually makes my anxiety worse.

yes it does definitely as your brain has not rested so makes your thoughts out of control cant you get something to help you sleep NIGHTALL GOOD

I was on zopiclone )sp? for 7.5mg for about three months worked wonders maybe enquire about that if you have regular bouts of insomnia. Down side to the medication is before it kicks in , you get , well i did, a intense hunger and i put on quite a few pounds because of it

Sleep lowers you anxiety levels, so if you don't sleep.....

John
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear.
    From the book Dune by Frank Herbert

I think all above have a point. I'm up very late every night trying to get my head around my anxiety and just so I'm sooo tried I can sleep. But I do notice the next day - anywhere from mid after to early eve I get drowsy and the anxiety kicks in (Not sure if its the lack of sleep or the ADs making me drowsy at the mo)

Hi Girlafraid,yes I believe sleeplessness can worsen anxiety in two ways.First is the fact that physically our bodies are not getting the rest they need,and secondly all that time we are laying staring at the shadows on the ceiling our brains are filling up with all sorts of frightening thoughts.Night time always seems worse for some reason.I've been going through this myself this last week,but yesterday I saw my doc and cos I'm already on the highest possible dose of citalopram (60mg),he has introduced 25mg of dosulepin (used to be called dothiepin).Apparently the two anti-depressants react and produce a heightened effect.But more to the point,dosulepin is taken at night and has a sedative effect.Last year during another particularly bad spell I was put on Nitrazepam but these should only really be used short-term.Whatever you're going through kiddo,you're not alone ok?

Hugs, Fishman (Andy)

Hmm.. Interesting..

I have been pretty good with the anxiety attacks until this morning. Woke up feeling very anxious. I tossed an turned a bit last night so didn't get what I would call a good sleep.

Why?? because I am due to return to my part time job that I took time out from 6 months ago due to stress. I've been deliberating whether I go back or not and last night I had to go to the station for a meeting. Is it just coincidence that the anxiety started to surface again especially when one guy has resigned and another has said that she is thinking the same because she just has a hard time juggling availability??

My wife doesn't really want me to go back but understands that the decision is mine but I'm caught between a rock and a hard place. I enjoy the physical work involved as long as it is spread across the whole team - which isn't happening. As a friend said, '20% of the team do 80% of the work and the other 80% of team are only doing 20% of the work. Is it any wonder you crashed out'. I feeling is, if I resign, how do I know I've done the right thing. If I'm being honest, I can't see it changing. That being the case, the anxiety isn't going to get any better so why continue on.

My feeling is to quit but am scared that it may be the wrong decision. How do you know?

Mystic3178

All you can do is decide what is more important the job or you long term health ..I dont believe in giving up without a fight ,but if you cant find a solution to the work issues I would seriously think of looking for another job ..I would have a word with your boss about your concerns ,maybe some compromise or changes could be implemented .It definately sounds like they are needed .All the Best SUE X

Quote Originally Posted by suzy-sue View Post
    All you can do is decide what is more important the job or you long term health ..I dont believe in giving up without a fight ,but if you cant find a solution to the work issues I would seriously think of looking for another job ..I would have a word with your boss about your concerns ,maybe some compromise or changes could be implemented .It definately sounds like they are needed .All the Best SUE X
    Hi Sue..

Last night I checked through the log book and found that since I left, nothing had really changed in who did what. What I also found out was that things are going to get tougher because we are apparently branching out to cover other 'situations'. For me, that is a no-no as we can't get the guys to do what they are supposed to be doing never mind taking on more responsibility. It basically means that the current 20% will be expected to do more. I've had the discussion before with my boss's and the team but it hasn't made a difference. They made a statement a while back which basically stated that people were not compelled to turn up which in my opinion was wrong. We're a rescue service. You can't pick and choose which callouts you decide to turn up for. Same goes for training

If I'm being honest, I'm looking for excuses for not having to make the ultimate decision to quit but I know hand on heart it is what is required. My health is more important.

Mystic3178

Thread Information