Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: CBT for emetophobia my experiences...

Re: CBT for emetophobia my experiences...

hiya I'm 15 too! it's so scary for me the thought of being sick maybe we can talk and help each other through it in stages it might help us to be able to do that. I have problems with getting on a bus too and I have all sorts of problems with going out of the house at all these days going out with friends but a massive problem is eating out and going to school or shopping in big places or even the cinema.
    becca x

hiya i know exactly how you feel I'm 15 coming on 16 and it took my parents ages to realise how much of a big deal it is for me and I love this forum cus everyone understands what your going through. I can't stand the thought of being sick it sends me into such a panic and I walk on pebbles throughout my life I feel like its the worst thing ever even thinking of suicide but I know now that isn't the answer. add me on msn x_clueless_angel_x@hotmail.com
    Becca
    x

I say that too that I'd rather die then be sick I was saying that all last night and strongly making decisions on whether to end my life or not but seeing the state my boyfriend was in because of saying I really wanted to and saying it was best for me made me feel so guilty cus hes been through everything with me and I know he still will be. This was when I decided not to give up yet and try my best to get through it. I came on here to be able to find people to talk to about it as I know if you are involved with people battling the same thing it will probably feel easier.
    Becca x

"it's so scary for me the thought of being sick"

The thought of being sick is a million times scarier than actually being sick. Being sick is a natural response by the body, if you are being sick you can't do anything else, and that includes panicking.

Fear of anything is all in the mind. Learning to relax, meditation and even EFT will help all of you with your anxiety/phobia.

Your phobia is an emotional response to automatic and irrational made up scary thoughts that trigger your emotions. Through meditation/EFT you can learn to respond to those irrational thoughts in a more relaxed and comfortable manner.

Cool Re: CBT for emetophobia my experiences...

Hello
    i have had emetophobia since i was 5 or 6 i spose i am now 19 should be out drinking and all but i cant cause of this stupid phobia its driving me crazy i dont have much money so i cant do much some forums have said make yourself sick but the idea terrifies me !
    2 years ago i had a baby boy called rohan i dont regret having him he is the cutest thing, when i had him i had loads of drugs pumped into me at the hospital (i hate hospitals) whatever it was after i gave birth to rohan it made me puke over and over again blue i asked the midwife why i was being sick and she said she didnt know after that i just had to get home so i refused to stay there the night, after that experiance i associated being sick with eating so i didnt eat! for about a week then i started having one peice of toast a day i was so scared of eating it might seem stupid lol, i lost loads of weight down to 5.4 stone they wanted to hospitalise me but hating hospitals i refused and i refused to talk to anyone who came around to talk to me apart from one guy called paul he came over every week to talk about my phobia and try to get me out of the bathroom yea it got that bad i wouldnt leave the bathroom but now i am ok 7 and a half stone still scared of being sick but i will get it sorted out one day properly i heard that hypnopheropy is good they take you back to when ur bad childhood experiance was so you can see it through an adult eye and realise thats its not the end of the world lol (tho sometimes it feels like it) worth a try ?
    Thanks
    Claire x

You guys should all use EFT. It is FREE and will help massively.

Using EFT with a person over MSN they were able to happily type the word
    VOMIT after about 20 minutes.

Before this person FREAKED at the thought of the word.

For all of you who are doing CBT and exposure therapy, and for all of you
    who aren't, learn EFT and start using. It will help you free yourself from your
    prison.

Hey.
    I'm new to this forum, I just was randomly searching through google and stubbled across this website.
    Omg that video sounds gross, I used to get all panicky when I saw people throw up on tele & completely flip out. Unfortunately i got to like a programme called skins where characters are sick all the time so I'm kind of use to it know.
    I have CBT too, and my therapist hasn't told me to watch sick videos or listen to it. Hes does it more with the worrying and panicking side and how to cope with it. He tells me to do scales of how bad it would be being sick with 1 being the lowest and 100 being the highest. I thought being sick was the worst thing ever but when he started saying things about heart attacks and cancer and paralyism, that completely change my mind of how bad being sick is. And hes told me to take risks, because i used to be completely housebound because of it and after a few years i go out alot more and have got my own horse so i'm out most days and have finally started to eat out. Seriously i've been told that only person that can make you better is yourself and thats true. I had lots of people helping me but once i started believeing in myself I started to get better.
    Anyway i hope all goes well with all of you and its so nice to know there is other people, goodluck
    Julia x

hi
    im new to this forum and i have just worked out i have emetophobia. the thought of being sick terrifies me, im a picky eater because of this and i am obsessed with checking sell by dates, if someone in my house is ill i will go stay at my nans just so i dont get ill.i live with my boyfriend now and he seems to get sick quite often which freaks me out. its affecting our relationship as i now sleep on the couch from fear of him being sick in the night and he was recently admitted to hospital and i just couldnt go with him from fear of him or people in the hospital being sick this made me feel bad as i should of been there for him. i havew had this fear for as long as i can remeber n it ruins my life. im constantly looking at people to see if they look ill and will not travel anywer. i even hate it when people are sick on the t.v. i would love to hear if any of you have ways maybe i could start to overcome this fear. i have started watching videos of people being sick to see if this works but its just making things worse. I would love to hear any suggestion
    thanks
    emma
    x
    x

hi i am mark and i have a big fear of being sick or someone else being sick i have had this all my life just the sound of someone being sick sends me into a panic and i can't control it can anyone give me some tips on how to manage it a better

thank you

mark

i've had a phobia of vomiting as long as i can remember, and i'm now 35. it has such a grip on me that i can't think of anything worse - which made childbirth a walk in the park so long as i had an anti-emetic!

the best advice i can give to you younger ones is not to let it control you any longer - try to take control back!! all the self help techniques on the site for managing panic help, find the ones that work for you (i like folding clothes watching tv and reading - anything to distract me from the panic!) you could also try some sort of mantra ( i know it sounds silly but i did it in labour with my 2nd child and it really helped) - if you feel sick or are panicking about something, just repeat something over and over to help reassure you that you CAN cope. my dad (who also has panic attacks) tells himself he won't feel like this forever, he'll wake up tomorrow and feel great again - this can help me

probably, the worse thing for people like us is the panic - i hate the thought of going to the dentist more than actually being there! my boyfriend often says that there's nothing to fear but fear itself, and the stupid thing is that the panic is probably making us all feel worse than actually being sick would ( go on - think back to that time you were sick before you had a phobia - it wasn't that bad, was it?) panic for me; racing pulse, dry mouth, nausea, spinny head, and it can go on for hours...

try not to avoid doing normal stuff like eating out or having a drink, travelling by bus etc - this is the beginnings of cbt, so just keep testing your limits and you'll soon see that you'll be ok, and you can cope with it. this should go some way to helping you re-programme yourself

we should all pledge to sort it out now - i'm going to try hypnotherapy, but there's about 30 years of fear to undo! so sort it now rather than later so that you can go out for meals (and eat more than just a starter!), travel further afield, get blind drunk (occasionally!) and actually enjoy yourselves without that little voice in the background asking you 'what if...?' there's no magic wand though, and you will need to take a leap of faith in yourself, but remember, YOU WILL BE OK

i hope you find something in this that helps, mark and anyone else that reads this!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information