Thread: IBS, heartburn and now colonoscopy.. Please help!

IBS, heartburn and now colonoscopy.. Please help!

Hello all,

Over a year ago I started having bad heartburn which I take Nexium for, it doesn't work that well and I am still troubled by it almost daily. A few months ago I started having what can only be described as upper stomach spams, horrific pain in the top middle of my stomach going up into my chest. I had an endoscopy which showed some inflamation, hence taking the Nexium.

Whilst all this was going on I ended up in A&E 4 times (the first one with huge panic attack - had them over 10 years ago but they started again at the same just before my heartburn/stomach problems). Had ECG's etc, blood tests and all came back clear. My doctor knew I was scared about my heart so arranged a 24 hour monitor and cardio tests (treadmill) etc - all ok and the cardiologist told me it was all anxiety and to relax.

Am still seeing a Gastro consultant who now suggests I have a colonoscopy as a blood test called CRP has shown a reading of 27 which indicated inflammation somewhere in my body (a normal reading is 0-6) and also am losing weight. Now I have stopped eating anything sweet, was a chocoholic and liked biscuits an buns etc, stopped wine, pastry and lots of other things.

I am now freaking out about the blood test results and weight loss and am scared I have maybe bowel cancer or a problem with my heart. When I Googled the CRP blood test it brought up heart problems :( along with other things. Not a day goes by without pain in my upper stomach or chest. My consultant says the colonoscopy is to look for Chrones Disease and has not mentioned cancer. Am still soooo scared.

I must also mention my panic attacks stopped as a result of CBT but am still suffering bad with anxiety, snapping at my family constantly and always close to tears.

Any advice would be welcome.

Re: IBS, heartburn and now colonoscopy.. Please help!

Hi Sammy

I have Crohn's so know all about the CRP results. Mine is down to 1 at the moment but when I had a flare up it went to 343!

I also had a chest infection about a month ago and the CRP went up to 27 then.

Certainly the colonoscopy will show if you have Crohn's - mine was diagnosed after having a sigmoidoscopy.

Let us know how you get on.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thread Information