Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NHS CBT

NHS CBT

I am having Cognitive Behavioural Therapy on the NHS. I have had four sessions and feel no better. I am told that you can have a maximum of 6 sessions. What happens if you feel no better after the 6th? Is anyone else receiving CBT through the NHS? Does anyone know of anyway to extend the number of sessions?

Thanks, Marvin

Re: NHS CBT

I'm having CBT through the NHS and I was given the impression I'll recieve it as long as I need it. It seems silly to me to put a time limit on therapy and say (to an anxiety sufferer of all people) "you have this long to get better". Talk about pressure!

I'd ask to put your mind at ease.

That's the thing, originally I was told I could have as many as I liked. (At the moment I have the sessions on the phone). But today was my fourth session and the psychologist said that I only had two left and that each person was only allowed a maximum of 6 sessions. This does seem a bit strange I'm not sure how common it is. I don't think I will feel better after only 6 sessions although I do think the sessions are useful.

M

Hi im having CBT on the NHS and ive had i think so far 11 sessions, and i have another one again next Thursday, i have them once a week Im not sure if there is a set amount, mine will be reviewed and then i can have more if i want. Im finding it really good, it takes time, its not a cure but it does help Hope you can find out more Hugs xx

I had 10 on the NHS.

I've had loads of private counselling since though...it's ongoing!!

Marvin - what are they doing with you that makes you feel no better?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

marvin

I had 6 sessions on the NHS and I just could not click with the guy doing them, I kept searching on my own and found lots of tools to help with my panic attacks, I paid privately after that, even though i could nt really afford them, but changed therapist a lot until I found 1 that i clicked with. Cbt is,nt for everyone though. the good thing about PA is they take over ur life so you get really motivated to do something about them! sounds a bit weird i know

good luck
    luis

Hi

I only had 6 sessions on NHS, there wasnt any more.

Luckily i did find it helpful and do feel better having had them

love mandie x

Yer I was kind of under the impression that I'd do the CBT and be cured just like that, probably was a bit naive about the whole proccess. Would anyone recommend having private CBT sessions if I only get 6 on the NHS? Does anyone know of any good places that do it in Central London? Not that I can afford it but worth knowing the options!

The psychologist who does mine is lovely but I haven't really got anywhere with her and she does always seem like she's not all that interested in anything I have to say.

M

I start my CBT in October and i was also told that you can only have 6 sessions, i dont think this is long enough for long term sufferers, i am worried that i will want more but unable to have more, i dont understand why only 6 x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information