Thread: feeling nauseous...

feeling nauseous...

Hello everyone. Can anyone give advice on this.

I have an operation on Wednesday morning and can't take my usual herbal remedy. I'm starting to get anxious about being anxious. I get sickness and diahorrea. More worried about that than the actual op.

I have rescue remedy but I'm trying not to use it too much. I've been feeling sick most of today and am trying camomile and spearmint tea at the moment.

This is driving me crazy. My stomach is churning and cramping, and I feel shaky inside. What can I take that won't mess me up too much?

Any advice please???

Lisa.

Hi Lisa

Sorry to hear you are having a rough time. Anticipatory anxiety is often worse than the actual event.

Do you do any relaxation at all? It could help to do some active relaxation these next couple of days and while feeling calm and relaxed you could imagine yourself at the hospital. Imagine lying on the bed, and feeling safe and relaxed. The more you practise this, the calmer you will begin to feel about the situation.

Your brain does not recognise what is in your imagination and what is a real event, so rehearsing the event in a relaxed way will help you feel calmer on the day. At the moment you are thinking about the appointment whilse feeling anxious and reinforcing the idea that there is a reason to feel worried.

Ginger can help with nausea and you could try peppermint tea or peppermint oil capsulse for the stomach cramps and diarrhoea.

Good luck for Wednesday.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

Lisa

Good luck for the operation and I hope it all goes well.

I think we all get those horrid churny stomachs when we have to do something that we really don't want to.

Try to take some nice relaxing baths and do something to distract your mind. Plan something for the future after Wednesday so you aren't concentrating on it.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

I have a friend staying until I go to hospital, she has a great sense of humour and will distract me! And my husband has promised to do the same.

I'll try the relaxation, but its so hard to concentrate. My mind is flitting about everywhere. I should have practised when I was calmer to make it easier now. And I'll try to get some ginger tomorrow, but the camomile & spearmint tea is helping a bit.

Thanks for your replies. We all know that anticipation is usually worse than the actual event. But rationality doesn't always come into it!

I'll do my best to persuade my body that my head is exaggerating...

Lisa. [8D]

Lisa,

Good luck. We're thinking of you .

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Hi Lisa. Sorry about your anxiety. The last time my anxiety got really bad I got so nauseous I couldn't move, and I was shaking really bad. The anxiety seems to feed on the nausea and vise-versa. My doc gave me Phenergan (Promethazine 25mg) to take. That knocked out the nausea and made me sleepy which helped a lot with the anxiety. You might give that a shot.

Glenn

Thread Information