View Poll Results: Does anyone in your family have problems with anxiety/depression?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. Just me.

3 23.08%
  • Yes - brother/sister

3 23.08%
  • Yes - mum/dad

4 30.77%
  • Yes - grandparents

3 23.08%
  • Yes - cousins

0 0%
  • Yes - uncles/aunts

0 0%
  • Yes - my kids

0 0%

Thread: Anyone have a family history?

Anyone have a family history?

Just interested to know if anyone has a family history of anxiety/depression?

I only ask because I'm having real trouble with social anxiety, and my younger brother has just been started on Mirtzapine and Psychiatry sessions because of self-harm/attempted suicide.

My Mum says that she had similar sounding problems when she was about my age and did go on anti-depressants for a time.

Cheers.

Re: Anyone have a family history?

Hi

Yes my mum suffered anxiety and agoraphobia for years and i have been told it is passed down

My mum has suffered from panic attacks and my dad was a long-term user of valium, so obviously had probs. Lucky me

My mum suffered from panic attacks since she was a teenager, and developed agrophobia a few years later. My brother has anxiety problems and drinks to block it out, my sister also has anxiety problems and so do I. My sister has a different father to me and my brother so looks like mummy passed it on, lol. I have three children of my own and I am terrified that they would end up with this, I really am. My doctor told me that anxiety is absolutely nothing to do with genetics and running through families but cannot explain why me, my brother, sister and mum all have it! I have also heard stories from other people who say they have had it "passed on" from a parent/s

My gradma had a nervous breakdown years ago , my dad suffered from anxiety due to his heavy drinking...

I have social phobia as does my grandfather. Other members of my family have exhibited signs of anxiety over the years, but theirs was never chronic.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear.
    From the book Dune by Frank Herbert

Thread Information