Thread: Another new boy

Another new boy

Hi all, I've been reading this site for some time, and recognise so much of myself in what I've read! Sorry if it's a bit rude to just barge in with my story but here goes:

I've always been health anxious but have recently hit new highs. My wife gave birth to our first (adorable) son 7 months ago, and much to my surprise I found the transition from having no children harder and more stressful than I expected. Then nearly 3 months ago I had a mild 'virus' and blood tests came back clear. Most of the symptoms however have never gone away, and in some cases have worsened. In the intervening period I have seen 5 GPs, a psychiatrist, a CBT counsellor, 2 gastroenterologists (I have mild colitis) and a neurologist.

A brain scan came back clear 3 weeks ago, and the headaches have cleared, (classic, I know) but I am left with the following: Pains around the ribs on both sides of the chest, profuse night sweats, aching and cramping muscles and joints in hands, feet, and legs, a feeling of being off balance, just over half a stone weight loss, a huge fear of not being around for my son growing up, and an utterly panicked mind!

In common with others on here I've diagnosed myself with lots of fatal illnesses, usually cancer, (which after lots of tests does seem unlikely) but am now preoccupied with CJD. I realise that the odds are on my side, but I can't shake the symptoms, and it terrifies me. If anyone has a similar experience, I'd love to hear from them. By the way, I started Escitalopram a fortnight ago, and an interim dose of Diazepam.

Thanks for reading this long winded post, and for any help. As I don't know how this works, I may repeat it on a HA forum.

I look forward to contributing to others posts if I can help.

Andy.

Re: Another new boy

Hi Andy

Welcome to NMP sure you will find lots of help and support here

I know all about thinking you've got cancer

I've, at one point or another, thought i've got 4 cancers at once

Hi Andy and

its always reassuring when we find others who think the same way as us. it doesn't take it away , but we dont feel so lonely and isolated.

Best wishes

P x

hi andy! im ashlyn. i hope this site goes well for you/.

Hi Andy and welcome to NMP.

"I've always been health anxious but have recently hit new highs. My wife gave birth to our first (adorable) son 7 months ago, and much to my surprise I found the transition from having no children harder and more stressful than I expected. Then nearly 3 months ago I had a mild 'virus' and blood tests came back clear. Most of the symptoms however have never gone away, and in some cases have worsened. In the intervening period I have seen 5 GPs, a psychiatrist, a CBT counsellor, 2 gastroenterologists (I have mild colitis) and a neurologist."

Try not to be too hard on yourself. Given that anxiety has been a problem for you in the past then it is inevitable that you will feel it now. Raising a child is the most rewarding but also the most stressful thing that you will ever do. Accept that every new parent feels this stress because of the adjustments they have to make to their lives and that feeling of being responsible for a new life. You are a sensitive and caring parent. Many children never have that. This will get better. Best wishes to you and your new family Veronica

Thread Information