Thread: Social Anxiety Medications...x

Question Social Anxiety Medications...x

hey all..
    this week i went to see my therapist for the first time..
    im a very nervous girl.. havent always been like this.. i used to be very out-going.. which now looking back makes me very unhappy how i feel so trapped in this cycle of anxiety..
    i dont feel that therapy alone is going to help..
    im thinking of trying medacation for it and c what happens..
    do u take medication for social anxiety?
    which is it? and has this helped and how?
    thanks alot xx

Re: Social Anxiety Medications...x

Hi Jordan,

I take seroxat for my social phobia. I have been taking it for over a year now but I feel the effect on my anxiety is minimal. My GP is reluctant to take me off it because I am making good progress. But I believe my progress is down to the CBT not the medication.

All the best

John
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear.
    From the book Dune by Frank Herbert

Hi John..
    Hmm Thats Not Good News If U Have Taken It For A Whole Year And Just Minimal Has Been Achieved..
    Can I Ask What Is CBT..? Is It Therapy..

I Went To My Doc Today And He Prescibed Me Citalopram 20mg.. And After A Month He Will Higher The Dose..
    I Hope It Will Help =[
    There Are Many Manyyy "Very Common Side Effects" Eeek..!!

Jordan..x

Hi Jordan,

Yes, CBT, is the abbreviation for Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. It is the most common therapy for the treatment of emotional disorders, like anxiety. It teaches you to recognize the mechanisms that create and maintain anxiety. And helps you to develop coping skills to counter those mechanisms. Although I have not had much success with medication there are many that have. So I would not discount using it.

Hope that helps

John
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear.
    From the book Dune by Frank Herbert

many medications have lots of side effects that are always listed as precortions doesn't mean everyone will get every side effect listed, try not to worry about this, for the first few days you may feel abit sickly and not wanting to eat i did when on escitolopram but after this you get over it
    good luck with the therapy, maybe the medication will give you the additional help to start your therapy and gain more confidence within yourself and other

Hiiiiiyaaa Jordan, I'm on Cipralex and seem to be getting on really really well with them, as my doctor says they're more for anxiety - the other tablets ive been on have been mainly for depression (ive been on citalopram and a few others).

I'm still with therapy too, been going private for about a year now, and have found that most helpful than just staying at home taking tablets everyday hoping that that will cure me lol.

Thread Information