Thread: Started so small..now killing me

Unhappy Started so small..now killing me

Hi all its my first time writing on here, but reading others posts have been keeping me sane for sometime... I am 20 years old and have gone from having a normal dose of emetophobia to being completly house bound, on anti depressants and am hardly eating (my weight has now dropped to 6 and a half stone)

I am a mess, I feel constantly ill and have no energy to do anything. I seem to get this gaggy feeling in my chest that just reacts off my emetphobia so i convince myself i feel sick and the problems continue. Because i constantly feel sick (or so i think) i cannot eat and it is just getting worse and worse. The anit depressants dont seem to be doing anything apart from making me tired and I really have got to the end of the line now.... any advise please guys!!!!!

Re: Started so small..now killing me

A hug of sympathy for you. I am not emetophobic so am unable to advise but hang in there i am sure ohters will post.

Veronica

Hi,

I don't know how long you have been on the anti-depressants but if it's a while and they're not helping you then I think it's time to see your doctor again. It's not fair that you are feeling so awful yet taking meds that aren't helping. Your doctor can try you on something else that will help because you shouldn't have to continue feeling as bad as this. I've never had emetophobia and it must be awful at times, but I'm sure some people here can give you advice on how to learn to live with it and get on with your life. I hope you feel better soon. Take care of yourself.
    Regards
    Myra

Its a horrible phobia thats for sure. I am a lot better these days, I used to be terrible, I would never eat meat unless I had 'over' cooked it, I wouldn't eat salad or white meat in restaurants. Only steak because I knew that could be eaten raw & not make me ill. Xmas dinner even round my mums was a nightmare, I didn't trust her cooking so wouldn't eat the Turkey, just hide it under veg then say I was full. I wouldn't take anti depressants because I was worried I would be one that got nausea side effects! I had to take the morning after pill once, but couldn't because it said a side effect can be vommiting. Luckily I didn't end up pregnant!
    To be honest the only thing that kinda cured me, was having children. I was very lucky as I didn't suffer from morning sickness, but when the kids got ill, I just had to deal with it. Especially once me & their dad split. I had no choice, there was noone else to look after them. It seemed to help combat it.
    On the rare occasions they are sick now, I still panic a bit that they have a stomach bug I might catch & always end up with the runs! But thats nerves with me.
    I dont know what you can do really, because I never properly tackled it, it just kinda subsided naturally. Must be awful if you feel sick all the time (

Hey thanx for your reply! yea it is.. i have got to the point that i dont no if it is me making myself feel more sick or what lol.... its just so constant from waking up in morning til il finally get to sleep at night!! I have always had the fear and had panic attacks when i thought i felt sick but its just got such a hold of me now that its an everyday feeling and nothing seems to be shifting it :-( .....

a fear of of being sick must be awfull my heart goes out to you...anxiety makes it worse,, you sound ike you dont eat but this will make you feel sick,you need something in your stomach a light meal no fats should be ok dry toast... you are on a rounabout ,you need to go back to your docter you must and get right meds i was a nurse so i now what your going throu love maggie

not eating will also cause you to feel sick, so it is a vicious circle. try some small meals just to get some nutrition into your system and to get your body used to taking in food. The tablets you are on may have nausea as a symptom. If you are unable to attend your GP's surgery then see if you can have a home visit. maybe explain to the receptionist your issue with leaving the house (they arent all mini dictator's!) you really need to sort this as not eating is going to make you feel worse. I had a similar issue and could only eat if I didnt have to prepare the food as I would feel too sick to eat it by the time it was ready. I used to take vitamins and protein shakes to keep my weight up as I lost 3 stone in 2 months. It worked for me but I was able to go to my Dr's. Please ask for help.

hi blacksheep thanks for the message! i went to the docts last week ( bloody awful gettin me there was gaggy in the waiting room for no reason) n she put me on doulesipin x3 a day! most of the attitude i got from her n most other people have just been to work through it as its all in my head but the feelings are very real to me!

I would suggest you seek out a new Dr and get a better one than you have, I have gone through loads until I found a good one. Also see about some counselling and support from other sources - maybe even hypnotherapy. The feelings will be real to you as it is you who is having them...have a look at my new thread called "A tip to try" it may help a little.

Thread Information