Thread: Severe Fear of Blushing...Please Help :S

Question Severe Fear of Blushing...Please Help :S

I am new to the board, and I apologize in advance if my post is repetitive, but I am so anxious for any help that anyone can provide.

I have been dealing with my blushing since I was a teenager. However, it has become rather excessive and severe and I am now 32!

I have done CBT, not once but twice, with no success. I've been on various medications without much success either.But have had to come off of the medication because I'm planning to become pregnant. Read many self help books, did hypnosis/NLP. Am I doing something wrong?

It's become an immense fear that I now expect to blush at every tiny lil' thing. I have noticed if particular individual make me blush, then I will blush everytime I come into contact with that same individual even if there is no verbal communciation!!

I think I have really tried everything out there...what am I doing wrong?! Any suggestions on what worked for you that may work for me? I'm having a tough time and it doesn't seem to get any easier. I have sacrificed so much in my life because of my blushing, and I don't want to sacrifice not having a family because of it. So any suggestions from any pregnant women/moms out there on how you dealt with this?

Any suggestions, info or advice would be sooo appreciated!

Re: Severe Fear of Blushing...Please Help :S

not sure what to suggest but didnt want to pass by without showing a bit of support .veronicax

Hi,

Im not sure I am much help but just wanted to say you are not alone. I am a huge blusher and over the last few years i have helped control my symptoms by taking propranolol. It has helped me so much and takes away about 95% of the blushing. I only get it occasionally now, and then only rosy cheeks compared to the blotching on my face, neck , chest and arms i used to get.It absolutely ruined and controlled my life and i am still scared of it happening.
    I am not cured, only masking it by taking beta blockers.they also control my other symtoms of anxiety such as heart racing and shaking.

Anyway like you, i am thinking of trying for a baby soon. But i am terrified of not being able to take my propranolol. I know that when i dont take it, within a few days i will be back to the anxious and blushing person again. I dont want to deal with that again. I dont know what to do really and keep delaying trying for a baby. I am 40 though, so i dont have much time!!!!!!

Anyway, i hope someone can answer your question who is more help than me and maybe i can take some advice from them too.

Sorry i wasnt much help. Just wanted to let you know you are not alone.

Josephine.x

Thank you so much to each of you for dropping by and showing your support. I cannot begin to tell how reassuring it is that I am not the only person alone suffering something, so simple to some and so debilitating to others, myself included.

I have tried several times to get off of my medication, in hopes of conceiving. This has been really difficult and makes me wonder, if phobia of blushing will take away my opportunity to become a mom. If you have any thoughts or advice for those, such as myself, that are planning for pregnancy, that too would be appreciated.

A million thanks for reaching out...

Nancy

hello Nacy,

I feel the same like you, even i have social anxiety. Im planning to be pregnant next year. I dont take any medecines now as i want to conceive. My main problem is that i suffer from terrible mouth twith when someone comes at my place or when i meet someone for a conversation, so you can imagine my plight. With this i even avoid talking to my sister in law on the phone, in case i cant speak properly. Ive this especially with my sister in law and brother in law and my mouth twitches terribly in front of them. Due to this ive lost my sefl confidence infront of them and my sis in law is taking advantage of my mouth twitch by humiliating myself infront of others. She talk with me when she wants & makes any comments while i cant due to my mouth twitch.

You are fortunate you got replies from so many people. Nobody have been able to help me out with this.

aw I feel for you!
    during my teenage years I was highly phobic of blushing! never knew I did it till someone pointed it out to me!
    it was torture those school years :-(
    Its hard to explain, I still blush now but most of the time I control it.
    i find that worrying about blushing sets me off big time.
    so when i start to worry i somehow manage to block it out, like just completely stop worrying about it.
    im not sure how i do it! I think its a big like how when your parents shout at you and you can just switch off.
    i think the fear of blushing is your main issue, cause with out that fear i think you wouldnt blush so much.
    some deep breath can help.
    maybe even wear some heavy make up on your cheeks so know will know your blushing and it might help your confidence.
    sorry i cant be more helpful

Hi there, I just wanted to say hi and let you know that I have also been a blusher since I was a teenager, and what you said is so true that if I ever went red infront of someone then everytime I saw them I would mega-blush.........I have never taken any meds for it, I think people just get used to you and they dont bat an eyelid, I think its only ourselves that are over-concsious about it....however I use alot of foundation.....have a fan on my desk at work...and try breathing calm when in a situation when I know Im going to blush (not sure if it helps lol) I think its worse when you are cornered and cant escape, ie someone comes and talks to you or you are in a meeting etc...........anyhow I hope things get easier for you......I also asked my doc if I could get an op to cut the nerve to my face....he didnt think that was a good idea LOL :-) take care..

Shaz x x

Hi

I have been a blusher since i was about 12. I used to dread standing up in class at school and then at work when i had to talk infront of people.

The more i worried about it, the worse it got.

When i was younger i used to wear this green tinted foundation under my regular foundation. it tones down the red face and when i use to blush it wasnt so noticable.

I think as iv got older iv not had it as bad. I have a daughter of 10 and im pleased she is not a blusher like me!!

love mandie x

We must have done some serious wrong doings in past lives to be punished in this one with the curse of blushing.

I'm 36 and have had a problem with blushing since i was 24,i did blush prior to this but it never really bothered me that much.

To tell the truth ive not really had a full on blushing attack for like 7 years mainly due to the fact i took myself out of all the situations that could cause one,i'm living to regret this as ive lost out on so much of life.The fear of blushing is still as strong as its always been...

I actually have a face to face assessment with the local mental health outfit on friday to determine what help they can give,i did ask for CBT but we'll see.

Thread Information