Thread: Thinking of getting a cat...

Thinking of getting a cat...

Always had them before I moved in with the wife, somehow I've never got round to getting one since. Probably something to do with living near busy roads. Anyway, now I'm thinking it could be good therapy to have one around again, nothing like relaxing in my chair late at night with a cat curled up on my lap. The kids would love it too, although that gives me a small reason to doubt. Deep inside there's a voice saying "this would be good for the kids because it'll give them something else to love when something happens to me." This seems kind of negative, almost as if I'm giving in to a subliminal message to expect the worst.

From a practical point of view, is it practical to keep a cat as a house cat, or should it have an outdoor run as a minimum? The road outside isn't particularly busy but, being on an estate, it has its' fair share of boyracers. I'd rather forgo the entire idea than lose an animal on the road and have to explain it to the kids.

Any thoughts?

Re: Thinking of getting a cat...

Hey Mudskipper,

I think it is a great idea to get a cat. I have had cats for years and the one I have now is an indoor only cat. I adopted her from a shelter and the previous owners had always kept her in. I never agreed with it before I got her but now I know she is safe all the time. She does come out in the back garden with us but basically she is afraid of the big wide world.

I had two cats previously that were indoor/outdoor cats and I always worried about them.

Be kind to yourself and get yourself a new friend. It will bring you enornous joy and pleasure and maybe give you something else to think about other than whatever issues you have.

Animals relieve stress and bring happiness to a home - so just do it. If you can rescue one from shelter.

Take care and let us know when you get your new friend.

Natalie x

ive got 10 cats at the moment 6 are 5 weeks old though i personally wouldnt keep mine in as house cats as the smell of litter trays puts me off but its a personal thing and im not near a busy road either if you get a kitten its trained to stay in anyway good luck with it

Hi

Im a bit of a cat expert cos my Mum used to breed siamese and have had cats all my life!!!

Its absolutly fine to have a house cat!!!

But you must either have it from a kitten or if you adopt an older cat make sure its been a house cat.....you cannot take on a cat thats used to going out then keep it in....it will stress it out!!!

The thing to watch with house cats is they can get rather obese.....you will need to provide toys(loo roll insides are good lol) and a scratching post if you want some furniture left lol!!!

Also a pot of catnip or grass is a nice touch!!!

I have 5 outdoor cats and 1 indoor kitten who wont be going out!!!

If you get them done at about 6 months old it will save spraying from males and screeching from females....I believe the PDSA do this free of charge if you are on any type of benefit even housing benefit!!!

Hope this is some help....always around if you wanna know anything else lol

Luv Kaz x x x

Ps Amanda if you see this could you pm me please will try and contact you in meanwhile k x

Highly recommend it my friend!
    I just got a jack russell pup and its helped no end. I live alone and just having her around keeps my mind busy and away from worrying about me! Also she gets me out and about on the beach to the park etc. Pets are the best friends youll ever have they dont argue or pinch the bed! Sadly she does pee on the floor occasionally lol

Hi
    I would never be without my cats. I have 2 but want another one. I love them so much.The eldest was bought for me when I was ill last year and I am sure she helped me to start getting better. I have another one now. I live in the countryside so they are are outdoors in the fields a lot but they still love to come in at night and curl up by the fire with me. They are really intuitive to how I am feeling and honestly at times when everything seems terrible, they help just by being there. They are such gentle loving animals.
    Pets do really help people I think and I think it is a good idea if you are definite about getting one, however I am biased!
    Last edited by PoppyC; 06-10-09 at 19:31.

Thanks for all responses.

As my kids are 5 and 9, if we get a cat, they're going to want to play with it, consequently I think a kitten would be a better idea, particularly if we can choose from a litter. The local RSPCA home and cats protection league have nothing on offer right now, however there's a couple who live not far away who breed pedigree Abyssinians. They look lovely and I've had Siamese before, so I know a bit about pedigree cats, plus they make good house cats apparently. They've got a new litter due in November, so I think I'll wait and see how they turn out. Could be a bit pricey but if it's worth having...

Thread Information