Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IBS!

Exclamation IBS!

Hi everyone. I tried to find a thread already posted on IBS but couldn't so sorry if there already is one.

Due to my anxiety I get IBS. It causes me to freak out about getting diarrhea every time I go out, which in turn because I've been freaking out about getting it I get it. Its a big vicious circle.

I seem to misuse diarrhea medication because of it. I take it when I start to worry just so I can calm my brain down a little by saying 'I've taken anti diarrhea pills, therefore I cant get it' but this still isn't enough!

I really need some advice from people who suffer from this form of anxiety as well. I don't know how to cope with it anymore. Its ruining my life, I get so worried every single morning and I can't take it anymore.

Advice would be so appreciated. x

FEAR is an acronym for False Evidence Appearing Real.

Re: IBS!

Hi,

I'm sure having diahorrea must be very debilitating at times, especially if you are going out and about. You say you are taking meds but are these meds the doc has prescribed? If so, then hopefully they will definitely stop you having it. There'll be people on here that are going through the same as you and maybe able to reassure you.
    Take care
    Myra

They're not prescription meds, just ones from the chemist. I'm going to see my doctor (who I must be driving crazy :P) this friday and will speak to her about it again. She said the anxiety medication I'm on (lexapro) would start to help calm the IBS down but it really hasn't.
    x

how come people never reply to my threads... :(

Hi Baby Rachael
    I suffer with IBS and I am on Buscapan 3 times a day I have the same problem as you
    Dop you get a lot of churning stomachs and also a lot of wind that wakes you up as well.
    PM if you want anymore help.

Regards Joan

Hi Rachel, I have the same thing..an immediate brain to gut reaction and the runs. I keep a portable toilet in the car. I have never used it but good to have, you can get them online for a few dollars. However, this doesn't help if you have to get on a bus or train! I have missed weddings and so many other events because of this. I don't like Imodium because it gives me terrible cramps. My doc said try fiber, Citrucel less gassy than all the others but it still gave me gas so I stopped.

There is an IBS message board that helps a lot. You can find it easily and you never know whose suggestion might work for you. Probiotics may help. Sometimes I have to wear special underwear that's waterproof but even then, if we have severe diarrhea, forget it. I am sorry you are going through this but keep experimenting. Tackling the anxiety will certainly help but easier said than done, this takes time. Keep researching and get a good gastroenterologist that specializes in IBS if you can. Good luck, I understand the impact this has on our lives.

Hi Rachel, I really feel for you it must be horrible, i have IBS but not as severe as yours i think it effects everyone diffrently, i dont get bad stomach cramps, sometimes i get a bit uncomftable with wind and churning gurgling like your stomache is a washing machine churning round and round, i think anxiety plays a massive part as your stomache aparantly is very sensitive to and can cause alsorts of things from, cramps, constapation, diahhorea, i really dont suffer with constapation but occasionally get diahhorea, but i never have what i would consider a normal bowl movement genrally loose and get a feeling that when i have been to the toilet i havent quite finished... I really sympathise with what symptoms you have it must really be hard for you...

Take Care

Dan

Hi Rachel, I know it is awful when it seems no one cares
    You were looking for other posts about IBS?
    scroll down a bit and you will see tags - click on IBS and you will see lots of posts on this subject.
    Best wishes
    June

Thanks so much for the replies everyone. I've had a good couple of days (the first in months) and all of a sudden today my IBS decides that it wont let me have a good day and I'm stuck at home. Too uncomfortable to go to class.. I just get the feeling I havn't finished doing my business and the dihhorea pills dont seem to be helping this morning. I'm going to speak to my doctor about it on friday because its getting beyond ridiculous. I'll try looking a the other posts on IBS thanks for the tip June.

I take metamucil once or twice a day for my ibs. Fiber is good for both diarrhea and constipation. It has made my life vastly better. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information