Thread: Anxiety at night

Anxiety at night

Hi there,

I am new to the forum and am looking for some help. I have been suffering from anxiety at night and panic attacks in my sleep for a number of years now, it did go away but has come back.

I now tend to get nervous going to be and as I am drifting off I start to get anxious with a fear of dying. Sometimes I sleep well but other times I will wake up two of three times a night in fear, real panic fear. Most of the time I think I am going to die and have a real fear of death.

What I don't understand is that I am happy in life, work is good, have a wonderful family and have just got engaged.

I am looking for advice, I don't want to take drugs to help but is this the best thing?

Thanks so much
    Peter

Hi mccormack

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: Anxiety at night

Thanks Nicola, I am really not sure what to do, I stumbled across this site on Google and the forum seems so friendly, I do hope I can get some help.

Peter

Re: Anxiety at night

Hi mccormack.

You're certainly not alone in experiencing this. For the last few months I've had a pretty constant fear of death/dying suddenly and am currently on meds to help with the panic and anxiety.

My life is also great, just got married last weekend and have no other worries, however I think this can sometimes make things worse (especially when the subject of the anxiety is related to death dying suddenly). Because life is so worthwhile and good, you are always aware that you have more to lose should you die.

Please remember that these thoughts are like a clown on stage - just give them a nod and a smile and try and turn your attention elsewhere. I have spent months thinking on the subject of death and on numerous occasions have been convinced I would not make it through the day.

See your doctor and ask for help - anxiety can be a tough nut to crack on your own.

Thread Information