Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Amitriptyline

Re: Amitriptyline

I have been on them since monday now when should i notice pain or my anxiety getting better? feeling quite low today cos they just dont seem to be helping the pain yet. is this normal?

James

this is an antidepressant but a lot of doctors use it because it makes you sleep and has a calming effect

Anyone put weight on whilst taking this?

You are allowed to go up to 20mg if the pain is still there, but check with your doctor. Marti , I never experienced any weight gain

Thanks guys i guess i will just have to wait for it to relieve the pain. I do get very tired on it and get a dry mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by NatalieB View Post
    hi. I have been taking 20mg of amitriptyline for three weeks now for tension headaches. I have noticed however that since the feeling of pressure has gone, a feeling of stiffness has occured in my neck and head and I sometimes have a dry mouth and feel the need to constanly swallow. Has anyone else experienced any of this ? I had a couple of glasses of wine one night and I was ok but another night i had a few different drinks and was violently sick the next morning so I wouldn't recommend it really. Thanks, Natalie
    Hi Natalie, I have just been given amitriptyline for headaches and wondered how long it took before the feeling of pressure went? The stiffness you talk of souunds like tension. Try a heat wrap, a long hot soak in a lavenda bath and some forehead....

i wos prescribed amitriptyline 25mg a day for my prostate pain. severe in my case. however i started to take 5 times this dose daily for anxiety rather than my pain. this misuse of the drug along with co codamol with codine caused more harm than good, added to this i started to add some alcohol as short term remedy. This addiction to painkillers and amitriptyline added to alcohol wasnt the answer. So now for anxiety iam prescribed a half beta blocker propanalol. reference being breathless, all i know is i noticed this only because of my weight, found i had sleep apnoia, lost 10 stone past year which has helped, always best to find a friendly GP who will listen and advise accordingly. but my god isnt anxiety a terrible feeling guys. kind regards

Quote Originally Posted by jackreacher64 View Post
    i wos prescribed amitriptyline 25mg a day for my prostate pain. severe in my case. however i started to take 5 times this dose daily for anxiety rather than my pain. this misuse of the drug along with co codamol with codine caused more harm than good, added to this i started to add some alcohol as short term remedy. This addiction to painkillers and amitriptyline added to alcohol wasnt the answer. So now for anxiety iam prescribed a half beta blocker propanalol. reference being breathless, all i know is i noticed this only because of my weight, found i had sleep apnoia, lost 10 stone past year which has helped, always best to find a friendly GP who will listen and advise accordingly. but my god isnt anxiety a terrible feeling guys. kind regards
    10 stone - AMAZING - well done you!

Talking Re: Amitriptyline

Quote Originally Posted by cricketjar View Post
    I have been prescribed 10mg of amitriptyline for pain relief as i have really bad back and neck pain. I have just been reading old threads on this and alot of people say about the side affects like ectopic beats which i get every now and then anyway, fast heart beat, really dry mouth and constipation. It scares me when i read about all the side affects and my anxiety goes into overdrive when i look at the leaflet that comes with them. I havent actually been to the chemist to buy them yet. My GP has prescribed a months worth and asked me back in about 3 weeks to see me while im on them. I guess im just scared of taking them now but want the pain to ease. Can anyone offer some reassuring words about them? Who has been on this drug? I know it is used in much higher dose for depression but who else has just used it for pain? Any help would be appreciated.

James
    hi james i have just started taking them and i am 2 weeks in just uped from 10mg to 20mg in the second week feelin great the pain almost gone , i am like you funny taking tablets, experienced a bit of a dry mouth and a bit dizzy but take them 2 hours before bed and with in 2 weeks all side affects have now gone along with the pain great hang on in there is my advice to anyone on amitriptolene

I had it prescribed but not for pain many years ago. Its effectiveness after six months was absolutely zero so I was taken off it as a waste of time.

Coming off it was horrendous and I was very ill with daily visits by my GP or two weeks to my home to deal with the withdrawal problems. My GP was an absolute Saint and still is.

Gordon

IF EVERYTHING ELSE FAILS SEE YOUR DOCTOR!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information