Thread: Nasal & Throat Worry

Nasal & Throat Worry

Hi guys

just a quick message, because ive been freaking myself out for days now.

I had a sore start last week, it really hurt to swallow, my partner checked my tonsills and they were fine.
    Then i developed a full blown cold, lots of nose blowing and lots of mucus, my throat stayed really bad for a week.

On Friday, i looked into my throat with a torch, like an idiot lol. I noticed that i had a patch of blood at the back of my throat, behind the dangly bit, uvula i think its called.
    I immediately panicked, and felt ill, i booked to see my GP on the same day.
    Went to see him, and showed him my throat and he was calm and said its really common when uve got a cold to get this, so i left there quite relaxed.

On sunday i started getting nose bleeds everytime i blew my nose, not really bad ones, but some blood everytime.
    My throat has started to ease a bit and my nose is no where near as congested, which is good. Yesterday my throat was clear, apart from a little normal coloured mucus from my lingering cold.

But this morning, i looked again with the torch and the blood is back, its not as bad as before, but its there again, its running from my nose i think and streaking into my throat, not loads, just a small patch again.

Ive tried to get to my GP again today but i cant get in till tomorrow, but i feel a bit silly for goin again for him to tell me the same thing.
    I just feel like i need to be reassured that im not gonna die from it.

I know it sounds silly, and my doctor said not to worry about it, it will clear up, but why cant i stop thinking the worst?

im a mess at the mo, and its making my whole body feel weird, i know its anxiety that is doin it, but i just cant shake this fear that there is blood at the back of my throat. The doc said it was coming from my nose, possibly a burst blood vessel.

HELP!!!!

Re: Nasal & Throat Worry

I think the blood vessels in the nose are very sensitive so it's quite possible with a bad cold/throat you could get a bit of bleeding from the nose that runs down the back of the throat. Burst blood vessels heal themselves so try not to worry and ignore it as best you can and i'm sure it will be gone before you know it.

Mand

Hi there
    I know exactly how you are feeling. You have the exact same health worry as me. I too have had the bloody mucus thing at the back of my throat and I am not joking when I say I almost passed out when I saw it. I'm shaking and getting a knot in my stomach thinking of it. I had a small nose bleed a couple of minutes after the blood down the throat thing. I had had this a couple of times before but this time I just freaked and called the GP he spoke to me on the phone and explained that this was normal and it will stop. He did tell me to try not to swallow it as it can irritate the stomach and make you want to vomit. He just said the blood has to go somewhere and if the blood vessel is slightly higher up the nose it may go down the back of the nose rather than out the bottom bit! It did stop but I live in absolute fear of it returning every single day. I am constantly find myself spitting to check the colour of my mucus (sorry if that's too much info). But there are some really good threads on this forum about nosebleeds. They do bring some comfort.
    I hope you feel better soon and I know this reply isn't the most helpful but I just wanted you to know you aren't alone. Oh and don't blow your nose if at all possible it may just start it off again.
    Best of luck x

I had the same problem yesterday and started a thread on here about it finding blood in my mucas which granted I have had a cold.

Over the last 4 weeks I have developed HA with regard to C and think Im riddled with it constantly checking my spit and stools for blood etc., I have twinges in my back and side for the last week which arent sore that I have convinced myself is C. I had 3 sets of bloodwork and chest x-rays done over the last 2 months for chest pains that were muscular which all came back clear but now I have just replaced one HA with another.

The mind is a powerful thing once it gets an idea going.

Thread Information