Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is it to be alone?

Re: What is it to be alone?

Hi Veronica,

I got given CBT through the Condition Management Programme offered through the Job Center. And they sent down a senior practitioner who specialized in anxiety to interview me before accepting me into the programme. I was later told by my Job Center adviser that I was privileged because she had never come down to this part of South Wales to interview someone before. And although she was interviewing three other people before me, I was the only one that stood out as a bit of a novelty. The Job Center had not encounter a social phobia sufferer before. I was booked in for a one hour appointment that ended up lasting 2hrs and 20mins. Her understanding of my condition was remarkable, she knew how I felt, what would be going through my mind and was able to answer all my questions. Every fear that I had over the meeting she put at ease in the first 10 mins. It was if she could read every thought that was going on in my head. I walked in to the interview as a timid, nervous man and strode out as if I was 10ft tall. Anyway to get to the point of this story, I told her I had just read Dr. Claire Weekes book 'Self-Help for Your Nerves'. And she said that she used to work with her husband who was Chinese. It didn't surprise me because her understanding of anxiety was incredible, I just wished there was more people like her to treat us. Yes I was aware she was nominated for a Nobel Prize and just missed out, although I did not know she had been nominated twice.

You are right about me over analyzing everything, I think that might be because I have too much time on my hands. My therapist tried to introduce Mindfulness to me, she said it could be useful. But I think she give up after failing to get me to express my feelings to my family. She had also identified that I had a problem with repressed feelings. And tried to get me to start to address it by learning to express them. But because repressed feelings have no direct link to social phobia I believed she was barking up the wrong tree and lacked any motivation to try. Six months later I have now read about repressed feelings and realized it explains parts of the 'Jigsaw Puzzle' that other books on anxiety and phobia never explained. My therapist new I was just being 'pig headed' and probably would not have taken to mindfulness so decided to drop the idea. But I have a book that has a chapter on it so I think I will read it rather than skip it like I did when I bought the book.

No I'm not a Trekkie (I've never watched the program ), my first names are John and Luke. The character played by Patrick Stewart in the series was Captain Jean Luc Pikaard. He had french ancestry, not welsh. And I know what you mean about Councilor Troy she was an Empath. So yes she would have been perfect for me but I would have just made her anxious.

Take care Veronica,

John
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear.
    From the book Dune by Frank Herbert

Hey JohnLukeYou are missing out if you have not watched generations! I watched every weekly episode with my son when he was a little boy. We had a huge swivel armchair at the time (this was of course the captains chair) which we both occupied and I had to spin at high speed during the opening credits. I bought all of the episodes in boxed sets recently and we are going through them again. He is 17 now so we have separate command stations!
    This is a link to the mindfulness and acceptance prog that I have been following. I am glad that you have at least decided to take a look at mindfulness although I am only just beginning to understand social phobia through your thread. I do have social anxiety and realise that it has been a problem for most of my life. I keep making myself get out there though which is the main thing.

http://mindfulness-and-anxiety.blogspot.com/

Veronicax

Thanks Veronica for the link, I'll have a good look at it. Regarding Star Trek: The Next Generation, of course I watched it , I thought you would have noticed I knew a little to much about the characters not to have watched it. I don't watch the repeats so I don't think I can be called a Trekkie , but I think you and you son might qualify.

Take care,

John
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear.
    From the book Dune by Frank Herbert

Thank you John for explaining the phobia is so much detail. I found it very interesting to read and now I feel I've gained so much more knowledge about a complex condition I never really knew much about except for elements that are a part of it.

I can understand now how the condition develops and how difficult it must be to overcome. I admire you for all you've achieved because it must have taken alot of willpower and determination combined with courage. I can imagine that you must be a very difficult player to play against because they say sportsman have an inner desire to always win which when added to your perfectionism must mean you're never completely satisfied with your performance even when you win. I can almost see another Johnny Wilkinson in you!

It must feel like extreme hardwork and such an ordeal when attempting to be in others company, almost like having to produce a plan to navigate yourself through it. I can see why some wouldn't even try because it would be so much easier just to be resigned to living a lonely life.

However, I can see how much understanding you have of your phobia, how much courage you have and what a kind caring nature you have so I really can't believe that you'll always be lonely because I'm sure there is a woman out there who will understand and give you the time and patience you need because in her eyes the rewards that you will give in return will be beyond measure. It will not be you who is lucky to have her- she will feel lucky to have found you!

I think you've answered all the questions I had about the phobia so I can't think of anymore you'll be relieved to hear! I'm very gateful to you for explaining so much about it and I'm sure now that anyone else reading your posts will also now have a far greater understanding. It has been been very enlightening and so I'm glad Dan and I motivated you to write such a wonderful piece in the beginning, even if it did mean you were feeling so low. In a way, I feel that if you wrote down your feelings for a woman to read, and just did it once, the "right" woman would stand by you because they would love your kind personality.

Please don't misunderstand this John but if I could marry my wife with her "severe" illness then why shouldn't a woman want to marry a kind intellectual man with such a caring personality because I'm sure with time you would gradually feel much more relaxed in her company.

I'm a Trekkie too!I can watch them over and over. It's not just the escapism, I love the way they all work together as a team caring for each other. The writers show great examples of morality unlike "soaps" that only show the bad in people. If we all behaved more like those in Star Trek I feel the world and universe would be a much better place. I always liked Capt. Kirk in the original series because he was never afraid to say "sorry". I loved Spock for his logical approach to everything which combined so well with the doctor (Bones) with his humanity and emotional attachment to those he helped. Of course I also loved Troy and Capt. Pikaard in the later series but my favourite character was Data because you could learn so much about human relationships and how we interact through his eyes because he was always trying to figure us out! Other than Star Trek, the one person I feel I can relate to in science fiction is Dr. Who because he lives in his Tardis alone never being able to form a relationship because he knows that every partner he has will always move on with their lives leaving him alone.

Anyway, sorry for waffling!

<quote>social phobia is a fear of social interactions but not just talking. Any type of interaction (i.e. talking, body language, appearance, writing, e-mails, interactions on the NMP forums, etc) where I can be observed or evaluated by others. That is what social phobia is, a fear of people evaluating us negatively due to our appearance, our behavior or what we say.</quote>

This is so true. I have a stack of probably important letters that I can't open and benefits I haven't claimed because they all remind me of the office where I worked when I was attacked. I fear being near people in case I am attacked, although I know it's irrational to think that an old lady in Asda might want to have a go!

I've put on weight with my meds and don't feel attractive. This stops me going to clothes shops, because I fear looking in the mirror, so I don't find anything to wear that would alleviate the bad self image.

I feel that I should have coped and can understand people who wonder why I didn't. Eight years after the attack, I know that my reaction was a culmination of things that happened through my life. I can't give a potted history of woe to everyone I meet, so I don't meet people as I know they won't understand where I am. I've not spoken to people for so long I don't know how to interact and make everyday small talk anymore. I haven't watched much TV as I couldn't relate to it, so I don't seem to belong to the world others around me inhabit. I'm way behind with prices and events. I don't feel a need to catch up, but it isolates me from strangers.

It took me 4 years to manage to leave my home and go to my local Spar garage. I can now pass the time of day with the staff, but I know they think I'm a total exccentric, because they'll make a comment about something and my reply always seems to be just a little out of kilter. They don't understand that my odd sense of humour stems from nerves. I know from their expressions and body language when I've made a gaff.

It took me 6 years to come to this site and a full 8 to write anything like this. Opening up, even to strangers in a virtual world is so hard to do. I may not look for how anyone responds to this post. I can come on here and reply to others, go to chat and play games. yet none of it seems real. Measured against family and the people I see outside my window, I don't feel real anymore.

Social anxiety is not just about meeting people. It's about being able to live in a world that is judgemental, materialistic and hostile.

A beautiful rose in need

A beautiful rose swaying in the warm breeze,
    Her petals glisten surrounded by hovering honeybees,
    Attracted to her lure, by her sweet scented pollen so pure,
    Blown on the summers air, from a pristine rose so rare,

Protected by her thorns, she stands alone safe from harm,
    Yet wanting to be held and loved, she still emits her charm,
    Afraid of being picked, to be left and discarded,
    Her army of comforting bees ensure she is guarded,

Standing in solitude in her garden of high fences,
    With the hot sun bearing down creating duress,
    Waiting for relief from a cloudburst of rain,
    To freshen her glossy leaves to ease her pain,

This attractive rose so trapped and in need,
    That should be loved and cherished so that she may be free,
    For all her many virtues and glowing sincerity,
    No rose deserves more for her kindness and empathy.

Bill that is beautiful. What can I say? You understand everything. Thank you for writing it. xx

Hi John, read your post and like the others, 1 i can relate to the sorry and pain, that cuts inside, when you have no one to share your fears and problems with, and 2 at how difficult it is to pic up and start again.

Ive been through similar, over the past 7 years and its only now that im starting to handle it, but as i come out of where ive been it makes me aware of how much time has been lost, so the questions then change, what if i had done somthing sooner, i feel i have wasted so much valuable life time, even though you are so not aware of it at the time, when recovery or like you say your treatment kicks in, you have another issue to deal with, and thats not dwelling on what you have lost and wasted but what you can do to improve the future.

Making friends and associations is very difficult, i find im so guarded, that i perhaps send out the worng msg, but ive been mocked, by those around me and when you are ill, it sticks and is harder to dismiss, but i now try to not give so much away and pull them out of what they are doing by showing interest in them, this leaves me on the back burner for the time being but at least, it makes for conversation and others like to talk about them selves, so it helps, try it, it helps to think like that, because b4 you realise it, you have not thought of your own issues and given your self a break, then these breaks become bigger, it works, and im still on that path at the moment, yes i dont let me out, but at least its companionship and who know where it will lead, hope this was of some help,

Hey there John,
    I found that really beautiful and sad at the same time. I truly hope you can one day find that love you are looking for..im sure it will come to you. Wish you all the best...love and peace xx

Hi Maddie
    I am glad you wrote your post as it is really interesting and even though I have social phobia, I just thought it was about feeling uncomfortable around others, avoiding making contact and didn't realise it was all the other things you mentioned.
    Its good that you are now able to go out to your local shop and chat. Who cares what other people think and chances are they are probably not thinking what we think they are thinking, if that makes any sense
    You sound like a lovely person I think.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information