Thread: Citalopram: Post Natal Depression

Citalopram: Post Natal Depression

hiya new to NMP. first post. my 2nd child thomas was born 8th of august last year(08.08.08) and it took me till may 20th this year to acknowledge to a dr that i needed help. i had asked for help from my health visitor in january for help in the form of care for my kids to have a break/ recharge. I also tried a natural remedy but i was going up and down like a yoyo. so in may i was prescribded 20mg. which i took immediately and it took about 2weeks to start working but then i seemed to continue up and up. unfortunately i then gave blood. i was checked and asked questions about my depression and they said i was ok for me to give. within 2-3 days of doing this i felt as depressed if not more than i'd felt before. 10 days after giving blood i went back to the dr's and i was prescribded 40mg. which i take at night.

since taking 40 mg i have really had a great trot. been feeling good moods minimal, and no side effects except NOT being able to DREAM. the only dreams i have is 48 hours so 2 days later if i miss a tablet. then that is proceeded by a rather rough day. i can understand this though as i missed a tablet.

my most recent thing is on the 3rd of oct i woke up with a bad pain in my head which got worse down the right side of my face by the evening. i went to the pharmacy and got some sudafed dual relief max and was asked if i was taking any meds and told em citalopram. the pharmasist's said it was fine to take. grrrrr!! which i took that night sunday and monday to help get rid of the sinus pressure. i've since had a cold too.

by the thursday the 8th my meds had completely stopped working and i have had bad dream after bad dream. now my dreams are back and have become more mild but i'm snappy moody and so low. i've had about 1 average/ ok day since which was tuesday.

i'm seeing a dr/ not my dr this afternoon but i don't wanna up again...
    sorry its so long...

Re: Citalopram: Post Natal Depression

Hi i got post natal depression after my second child was born. Even though my husband kept telling me to go to the doctors it took me a year to go. I was prescribed citalopram and was on them for 6 months. They took a while to work ( about 6 weeks ) but they did make a huge difference. They dont work for everyone so have a word with your doctor and see what he thinks, he might want to try you on something else. Hope your feeling better soon.
    Sarah x

Re: Citalopram: Post Natal Depression

thanks sarah.
    as i said i went to the dr's this afternoon and i've now been put up to 60mg, at which i'm gutted!! think i'm more depressed now than this morning. i am so scared at how i'm influencing my kids esp my daughter who's nearlt 2 years 5 months... its so scary how she's picking up on my emotions and my moods. she can mimic my frustartion to a tee. i've been trying to talk to my husband tonight hence why i'm now typing on here instead. he doesnt get it... i've tried telling him i just need a mental break for 2 days and he's implying that i can't do it cause my kids have to come first!?!?! but i'mtrying to put them first by getting better.

confused and very sad/ low

Thread Information