Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Citalopram post-discontinuation sex drive effects?

Unhappy Citalopram post-discontinuation sex drive effects?

Firstly, I have searched around and found a partial answer, but not quite what I'm looking for because my question is quite expansive (I am a real worrier..).

I have been prescribed 20MG Citalopram but have not yet begun taking them..
    I have a very high sex drive and am very sexually active.. To loose sex drive would be hell for me..
    Now; I know that taking citalopram is likely to kill my sex drive being bromide based.. But I figure I can stop taking them at any point if it becomes too much of an issue..

My question is; has anyone been in my position, stopped taking them, and found that their sex drive has been damaged long-term or even permanent? I am really wary about taking them if this is the case..

Thanks for all help!
    Jack

Re: Citalopram post-discontinuation sex drive effects?

im on day 10 of cit and my sex drive is fine
    i may be one of the lucky ones but i think many people have diff side affects but iif it came between me bein low and anx and having a sex life i no wht i would choose i no tht my friend struggled with hers but this did pass within wks seriously give thm a go im starting to feel so much better and im only on day 10

Don't think I'm taking them after all.. Even thinking about them is making me worse than ever. Every time I consider taking them, I have panic attacks, and have to really try hard not to cut my throat.

Not worth the energy or the side effects. Screw it.

i was just like tht what dose you on it took me 2 wks to eventually take one and honestly the side affects arnt tht bad i had panic attack after panic attack just looking at thm why dont you try half like i did and thn work ya way up

I've had them on my desk for nearly 3 weeks now.. they've been doing my head in.. They've given me 20mg but predict I'm gonna need higher..

I was on Citalopram previously and the suex drive side effects lessened after I came off them, as far as i am aware they cause no permanent disruption to libido or sexual function.

Ive been taking them again for just over 4 weeks now and did experience a reduction in libido for the first three weeks, but I've been like a rabbit for the past week or so if you get my drift :P so I think tolerance to the effects of the bromide is a possibility.
    They do continue to make it longer to reach a climax though.

the sad thing is, if you had been taking them you'd have been through the worst of any side effects by now...

the most likely side effects you would get are some reduction in libido and difficulty sleeping for roughly ten days then it would reduce and you'd msot likely be fine. If you aren't going to take them however it is best to discuss another option with the doctor.

I've not heard of anyone else having this one but I did find that mirtazipine make me shoot as soon as the guns loaded if you catch me drift, between the sexual side effects of mirtazipine and citalopram I know which I(and my girlfreind :P) prefer.

\Hope this helps

Dan

If anything my sex drive has gone up! Well i had my implanon implant removed which was putting it right down. Ive suddenly began to feel arousal feelings again when they had actually gone without me realising! I think that sex is not as important as mental health and i know that sex might be important for you but i think its better to make yourself better before you can concentrait on sex. Thats just me though id pick feeling mentally stable over having sex for a while anyday. But like i said mines not been effected ive been on 20mg for a week now and was on 10mg for 2 weeks before

Love Life Live Free - My struggles to love my life and live free of depression and anxiety.

Thank you for all your replies.. Still sceptical but at least you've erased some of my concerns.. ^_^

Thank you specifically to burberrygirl72 for her help via PMs and to Dan for the detailed response But again, all input is definitely appreciated..

Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Joellie View Post
    If anything my sex drive has gone up! Well i had my implanon implant removed which was putting it right down. Ive suddenly began to feel arousal feelings again when they had actually gone without me realising! I think that sex is not as important as mental health and i know that sex might be important for you but i think its better to make yourself better before you can concentrait on sex. Thats just me though id pick feeling mentally stable over having sex for a while anyday. But like i said mines not been effected ive been on 20mg for a week now and was on 10mg for 2 weeks before
    I meant to add; when I say my sex drive is high, I mean I love sex to the point where if I have problems, I get suicidal.. No exaggeration... So to me, sex drive is somewhat important alongside me getting better >.<

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Quote Originally Posted by Jack123 View Post
    I meant to add; when I say my sex drive is high, I mean I love sex to the point where if I have problems, I get suicidal.. No exaggeration... So to me, sex drive is somewhat important alongside me getting better >.<
    But the sex is just an expression of your anxiety. I may not get depressed/anxious about sex but my anxiety will be expressed in something else perhaps. I think the central issue is anxiety and anything that deals with your anxiety will by default deal with the expressions of anxiety, ie for you, sex. Anxiety is a cunning thing because you think that by dealing with the objects of fear/anxiety it disappears. But as many people here will tell you, sometimes you get rid of worrying about one thing only to find you're now worrying about something else completely! There are millions of phobias/fears.
    I'm not saying for you to take medication or not but just that anything that deals with your core anxiety will also deal with the expressions of anxiety, whether it be fear of flying or sex or whatever!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information