Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IBS and bowel pain

IBS and bowel pain

3 yrs ago after having weird pressure sensations and lots of loud explosions and feeling of bubbles popping in abdomen and also bad pains and cramps for about 15 mins before a bowel movement - I had tests inc the dreadful colonsocopy and was told it was IBS - I have always had a sensitive bowel and go at least 4 times a day and have to restrict fibre.

I actually had the colonsocopy 18 months ago and i didn't even have a single polyp so completely normal.

I find about 10 mins after I wake about 6 am i get terrible stabbing and cramp pains on left of abdomen mostly in my back and under rib. The pains improve once I had had bm- I tend to go 3 times in morning and once in evening so alot of pains. In between I have the fizzing bubbles sensations and the explosions.

I can have this for months on end and be at end of my tether then it will all settle down wondefully for months as well.

I moved house 2 months ago and area so all very stressful and feeling very alone ( I do have husband who is lovely) and new Drs as well and 2 weeks after we moved the IBS pains etc came back with a vengeance.

I have got into a bad pattern of waking up about 5 am and off we go with the pains it like once awake my brain tells my bowel to get moving and then late afternoon and evening the pains again until i go again but still have lots of wind that is painful.

anyone have any advice for me on how to break the cycle - I'm in the worry the pains are from something serious - or will never get better - its a downward spiral.

Re: IBS and bowel pain

Hey love.
    The waking in the morning and "going" is very IBS.

I suffer ibs also and I get pains and cramps so bad that I literally am bent over clutching myself..it is deep set stabbing shooting pains almost through my chi chi and the back end.

I've passed stools and literally jumped up off the loo seat with pain.

Felt I was going to vomit whilst passing stools,sweating fast heart rate etc but it's all ibs.Honest petal.

I go through all this and then jump to the other extreme where I wont go for weeks and need movicol and senna!

xxxxxx

Thanks wee mee. Isn't it amazing that ibs can be so horrible and cause so much pain. I was told its a diagnosis of exclusion in other words they can't find anything physically wrong with the bowel so its a functional problem.

It is strange and so frustrating and stressful but one of the terms that flies around often is "stress related IBS" which is self explanotory and that is how I developed it! And now well,it is a vicious circle. And a pain in the a**e (pardon the pun ) when I am outside because it can hit so sudden xxx

Hey Countrygirl,

I have had the same thing for as long as i can remember, fizzing, bubbling stomache, with explosions, which was a great way of putting it by the way... My stomache is constantly churning gurgling etc, and i suffer from lots of wind too,, My GP said its IBS i havent had any tests, but asures me that if i have had it for as long as i say its nothing too serious just damn annoying, he said as a ruleof thumb if you have had a symptom for over 12 months its not normally serious. He puts it down to my Anxiety and my nervous nature, I hate mentioning this but what are your stools like?? Mine are mostly loose, bubbly, bitty and floaty, sorry but its easier to mention it, without looking someone directly in the eye's... Also my symptoms never seem to ease for periods like others who suffer from IBS but i guess we are all different..

Dan

Hi Dan

I can stand the wind and explosions and the going to the loo so much but its the nasty pain that gets to me the most. On the subject of "poo" mine vary during the day from perfectly normal to loose to like rabbit droppings later in the day. I just wish I didn't go so much but then there as so many people who don't go and wish they did and they have lots of stomach pain as well.

I was told at my colonoscopy that if your colon is polyp free then you don't need it checked again for 10 years as colon cancer starts as non cancerous polyps but it takes years for them to turn to cancer. This might help anyone who has had colonsocopy.

I totally agree with the saying that ibs is mostly stress related - I have had expensive blood tests for food intolerances and also commprehensive stool analysis and nothing untoward at all.

Trouble is the ibs seriously freaks anyone with health anxiety and round and round it goes.

Have you tried eliminating certain things from your diet? I say that because certain things trigger mine off big time. Foolishly I went & ate a whole bag of veg stir fy last night (it near on filled the wok!) I know, I know, what a pig. But I love the stuff at the moment, but usually only have half a bag at most. Anyway, I didn't half suffer at work this morning! I start at 6 & finish at 10am on a saturday, & I'm not kidding you, I was worried sick I was going to explode & have an accident! I spent 3 & a half hours of the 4, making sure no one was about & letting rip (I work in a supermarket!) The pains were horrendous! And it makes me feel a bit nauseus too. I wont go in a bathroom thats not my own! I made it to 10am thankfully. Then got home to find my son had blocked the toilet (he is 14 but always has something better to do, so holds on to his until the things are like a babies arm! And they block the loo!) So I had to unblock the thing before I could get in there, the dog was waiting to be fed, & it was a crap morning, pardon the pun! LOL
    Anyway, as I was saying, have you figured out your triggers? I cant take anything like Colefac myself, as my I.B.S doesn't give me any warning, & isn't happening all the time, if that makes sense. Even Strawberrys can give me the runs!

Dear Cell Block H Fan

I know its not funny having ibs but your last post did make me laugh.

To all you other ibs sufferers, I really sympathise with you and wish I had some wise words of comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by LT View Post
    Dear Cell Block H Fan

I know its not funny having ibs but your last post did make me laugh.

To all you other ibs sufferers, I really sympathise with you and wish I had some wise words of comfort.
    LOL I can laugh at it now, looking back What a morning. I'm rubbish at watching what I eat though, so its my own fault really lol

Thanks for making me laugh. Wel update on this is 3 hrs in A&E today!
    Yesterday evening I got evil pains under my left ribs into my back and also terrible wind - I was at friends for dinner and it was so hard not to double up and groan all night plus trying to fXXt quietly all night long as well
    I fell asleep with stabbing pain that make me feel hot and faint and woke at 5am and within a minute the pains were back and unbearable - loads of wind and after about a hour of rolling about in agony had bowel movements and about half hour afterwards the pain improved tremendously but my husband was freaked by then at my pain level and took me to hospital. AFter two and half hours in freezing cold a&e with 500 other people I saw the most wonderful english Dr who himself suffers from bad IBS. He examined me thorougly but said my description was exactly what he suffers from and he said many times if he hadn't bee a Dr and known what was wrong he would have run to A&E himself because he was in such agony. had a long discussion with him on ibs and the brain connection and he told me about some mental hynosis to do when the pain is severe. he did say to go to my GP and tell him that he recommends I have endoscopy to rule out an ulcer or gastritis and the h pylori test for stomach bug but if that is all fine then as I had colonscoopy 18 months ago its safe to say I am having severe IBS. What a wondeful man he was and I am so lucky he was on duty.
    I just could not beleive you could have such evil pain and it not be something extremely serious - he also suggested a food diary and as I have the loose then rabbit dropping type of ibs keep off the rouphage and eat slowly and chew properly - I tend to bolt my food.
    So wish me luck and I will try and convince msyelf when I am in terrible agony every morning not to worry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information