Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: embarrassing question about citalopram & sex drive

Re: embarrassing question about citalopram & sex drive

really old post i know, but as a pe suffer its done wonders for me

Quote Originally Posted by lemoncake View Post
    This is somewhat embarrassing, but since being on Citalopram I have found myself increasingly uninterested in sex. I understand that a decreased libido is one of the side effects, does anyone else have experience of this and isn't too embarrassed to say anything???
    hi im on the other side im male me and my wife take it both im on 40mg she on 20 and in the begining we had a proublem but you may want to switch things up like we did and it worked 4 us toys ?

Quote Originally Posted by lemoncake View Post
    This is somewhat embarrassing, but since being on Citalopram I have found myself increasingly uninterested in sex. I understand that a decreased libido is one of the side effects, does anyone else have experience of this and isn't too embarrassed to say anything???
    i totally agree since i have been on citalopram my libido has gone out of the window its very frustrating

well they have zapped my sex drive ,,, lolololol oam numb lol couldnt be bothered at all lol

Citalopram affected my sexdrive, but it cam back eventually once the meds had calmed down!

Well I have always had a big sex drive and been on 40 mg of Citalopram for at least 18 months and it certainly hasn't taken away my desires. Unfortunately my partner does not share my desires!

P.S. Stopped taking the drug last Sunday as it's all very well feeling like everything is being kept with a lid on it but I want to be who I am - not what a drug makes me be. If that makes any sense?

Unhappy Re: embarrassing question about citalopram & sex drive

I am a 40 year old male and after a tough divorce and being lied to constantly by my ex about her secret new man, I found depression looming and a fight in my head over what was really going on and was this guy just a friend etc etc... you know the scenario...

After thoughts of suicide, taking on this man and the rest for over 2 months I decided to use Citalopram... after a week of crazy up and downs (whilst it locked into me) the stuff really worked @ 20mg a day my insane constant thoughts of my wife with another man subsided, my fear of planes went and I travelled the world pretty much...

However to every upside there is a down it would seem... I have since taking it lost almost complete interest in sex, and as a result have not even had a relationship in 3 years, I have had sex of course but my orgasam is hard to reach and to be honest I probably masturbate once every 3 weeks or so which I find extremely difficult to do (total loss of interest in masturbation), which for a man who was extremely sexually active has taken its toll (probably in past had sex 3 times a week and masturbated daily almost).

I feel its time to get back on the saddle and have recently started to cut down to 10mg a day everyday, so far I am ok but sex drive has not returned...

I am worried it will not return completely and also worried my old anxieties will return, to be honest I would be happy staying on Citalopram the rest of my life if it were not for lack of sex drive and hard to make relationships.... I don't even see women in the same way anymore, its crazy!

Has anyone had this same kinda issue, I guess I would like to try another anti anxiety drug which won't have any side effects on sex drive and see new relationships being built and a healthy active sex life.

Hope I have not been too personal or graphic here I would really like to hear off any men who have had same problem, and really looking for hope that I can go back to how I was again, a man with a libido!

I've been on 20mg daily for 6 months and getting a lot better. Most of my problems were anxiety and panic/sweating but I did present with depression. I've since been put on pills for hypertension (high blood pressure) and felt so much better and so asked GP if it was ok to come off citalopram slowly. (I am 44 years old). Mainly because I think they are stopping me from concentrating properly on academic research and also because I've lost 90% interest in sex. I can get going slowly (am a man) but even doing it and trying to finish is so much hard work. I think it is because somehow these pills numb your brain and your body. You get rid of the negatives and positives at either end of the spectrum. I don't want to brag but I was fairly priapic before and never had problems in that department. I used to have to sort myself out most days in addition just so I could get rid of the urge. The pills took all that away. But I have some good news: I have been taking them only every other day (under guidance from GP) for last couple of weeks and took my last one ever on Friday. Over the weekend things have come back more or less to fully functional and I think I'll be firing on all cylinders within days.

Only 17 responses and 15000 views, I guess alot of us are interested in reading about sex if not actually doing it!
    I've taken cit 24 days so far and had no loss of sex drive yet, I'm hoping it does slow things down a bit, normally its all over in < 2mins for me.
    Last edited by oldtime; 07-03-11 at 16:44.

mohc, you are right. You may be aware that citalopram is also indicated for premature ejaculation (i'm not saying you definitely have that, just that most horny men can finish quickly if and when they want to) but this drug does numb things, so I guess it depends where your starting point is

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information