Thread: Yoga/Tai Chi/Pilates

Yoga/Tai Chi/Pilates

Hello All,

I am interested in doing some exercise that also teaches calm and helps my anxiety and have read that Yoga, Tai Chi and Pilates are all relaxing.

Has anyone tried any of these and can recommend which one is best for anxiety or just general relaxation.

Thank you
    Candy x

Re: Yoga/Tai Chi/Pilates

Hi Sweetie!
    I started yoga when I was emotionally crippled- I could barely make it outside, I couldn't bear to make a phone call, I couldn't drive, I couldn't even look people in the eye and yoga completely changed my life.
    I phoned and got the information of what I needed to join and I DROVE myself to yoga , (I told myself that if I only managed to drive to yoga that would be enough of an accomplishment) and waited in the parking lot. My heart was beating so hard I was sure it was going to burst through my chest- I forced myself out of my vehicle, mainly because I was sure I was in the midst of a heart attack - staggered across the parking lot and into the gym. Once inside it was horrible- I had to take my socks off- fortunately I had manicured feet - and forced myself through the class. It was awful, horrible, gut wrenching and everything else but guess what I LOVED it !
    I have used the breathing techniques in dire situations and it has made the difference. The calm after a yoga session is unbelieveable- I cannot describe the peace that envelops you- I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't experienced it- I urge you to get to a yoga class !

I have tried pilates-yuck and I am too self conscious to do Tai Chi ( my sister does it and she hasn't really benefitted from it).

Try a few of the yoga sessions and let me know how you get on 1
    Love-Bluebelle

Thank you Bluebelle

That has really helped because I was struggling which one to go for but I now know I hope it helps me as much as it has you!

I will let you know how it goes x

I think going to a yoga session is very different from doing it from a YouTube video! I tried a 40 minute lesson on YouTube using my bed as a mat, and let me tell you, it was some of the most boring 20 minutes of my life. I only got halfway through before I turned it off and watched 4od instead.

Having said that, I found myself naturally getting into yoga poses they showed in the online lesson when I woke up for a few days afterwards. Perhaps it affects you more than you're consciously aware!

Good luck, hope it works for you

Thread Information