Thread: Constant Fast Heart Rate and Would Not Slow Down

Constant Fast Heart Rate and Would Not Slow Down

Last evening .. I was really tired. We had awaken early in the morning after going to bed about 4am the night before.

We met friends for lunch and came home. I was really tired but relaxed I thought. The friends decided to drop over around 9pm and spend sometime.

As I sat there with them I felt my pulse suddenly go to over 100.. Not even sure how fast it was because It seemed to really pound in my chest.

I tried and tried to relax but it wouldn't go back down to normal. All the time they were here it seem to try to slow down but kept picking back up..

At the end of the night which was very late.. I tried to lay down and slow it down..It was still over 100.. After about two hours it finally went down to about 77 bpm... and actually even to this point almost 24 hours later it really hasn't gone down other than to 75 . I am kind of worried..

I didn't have any chest pains but have had a head ache since last night that I can't seem to shake.. Could it be the fast pulse was just because I was really tired and maybe nervous about the people being here and after my pulse got going fast it just didn't want to slow down because of the adriniline? I don't remember it ever doing that in a long time... now im even worried about having friends over.. Please help?

Re: Constant Fast Heart Rate and Would Not Slow Down

Hi : )

Yes, Yes and yes

I have been suffering palpatations recently and on Sunday my heart rate suddenly shot up to 120.. it stayed like it for about 12 hrs.. I was admitted to hospital to be checked and monitored on ecg and nothing was wrong on it.. They are giving me a 24 hr monitor soon as precaution but have ruled out anything 'serious'.... I have been now been put on beta blockers and my pulse has been in the high 60s/70s since when resting.

Please please don't worry.. this was subconcious anxiety.. i often get like that when people visit me.. even people who i know very well. If it doesn't stay under 90 go along and have a chat with your dr just to be reassured or to get medication to calm you a little so it can settle.

Oh and the hospital said they would only be concerned with a heart rate of 120 if there was significant chest pain or breathlessness.

Take care
    Mand x

hello pulse is ok between 6 and 100. perhaps like you say you were getting anxious ,,with friends over lpulse lack of sleep can cause this ,,hope you feel ok now

Im not even sure of how fast it was.I know it had to be over a hundred maybe even 120 or maybe even 140 but I was up and about showing them around and picking up things. I had been cleaning most of the day around high dust areas and also very tired before they came over. I was hungry but only ate a piece of light cake no icing to keep me from eating food which always brings my pulse up. I suppose I could have taken a librium but sometimes it makes me really sleepy and irritable .

I was sure they would be here until late so I didn't want to do that but maybe I should have..It really ruined the night for me.. Thanks for your input and it hasn't happened again since that night but now im afraid to have company out of fear it will do that again. I need the company as are really getting depressed being here alone all the time.. Thanks again for your help.

Thread Information