Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scared To Use Inhaler

Scared To Use Inhaler

I'v current got a cold on my chest which is making me weeze alot. I'v been like this a couple of weeks now and saw the DR yesterday and she gave me a Salamol Inhaler to help ease the weezing. I'v been getting up every night about 2 am because I am coughing and weezing and finding it hard to catch my breath. But I am to scared to use my Inhaler. I did the worst thing by reading the side effects and sptting that it can make you anxious ect :( I really am my own worse enemy at times.

Last night I was very very bad. I had my first PA for months :( I couldnt get my breat for a few seconds and it really scared me. But I still would not use the Inhaler for fear of side effects :( This phobia of medication is really getting to me now.

Has anyone been in a simular situation? And did you conquer it?

Kind Regards

Ken

All the best

Ken

Re: Scared To Use Inhaler

Do you mean salbutamol inhaler?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hiya, thanks for the reply

Yeah its Salbuamol Sulphate. I guess Salamol is the brand name?
    Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    Do you mean salbutamol inhaler?

All the best

Ken

I have used once since a kid as I have asthma and never had a problem.

The only thing they suggest is that you wash your mouth out with a glass of water after using it as it can give you thrush BUT I have never done this and never had thrush from using it.

I am sure you will be fine using it.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Please use your inhaler. I was scared to use mine the first time but I couldn't do without it now at times. You will get such a relief. When I first used mine I was waiting for something dramatic to happen and apart from my chest feeling a bit clearer nothing did!!!! Some people get a wee bit shakey but this passes after a few minutes and is nothing to worry about. It'll really help your wheezing
    Myra

I'm sorry that you are unwell at the moment. The coughing and wheezing that you experience will get worse if you do not use your preventer as prescribed. I use three different inhalers to keep my asthma in check. They help prevent me from getting ill and my chest getting tight and feeling unable to breathe. They also help when I get a chest infection. Please please use it!!

Ken

USE IT!!

My son has used one since he was 13 months old and he is 12 and no side effects whatsoever.

You will feel a lot better.

Mee

Thanks so much for the replies

True to form I am up again weezing in the early hours again :( I had Asthma when I was younger, but noet for about 15 years or so now. But the DR did say it can come back in later life.

Not sure what I am scared of, I think its being more scared of making it worse.

All the best

Ken

Hi

I just wanted to say that I understand what its like to be scared to take medication, its one of the worse features of my Health Anxiety :-(

I have had an inhaler before, as has my son when he was a baby and we were both fine. Don't be scared to take it as it will make you feel much better.

Let us know how you get on

Emira
    xxx

I can and will get through this....

When I was first given inhalers for my asthma I was scared to use them too, so I know how you feel And I can understand that waking up in the night and taking it is even scarier.

Could you try using it once whilst you're awake during the day? This is what I did to ease myself into it, so you see how it is and that it's not scary.

I use them all the time now, I have to take the brown inhaler twice a day anyway and then the blue one as and when needed. The only side effects I get is if I'm having a particularly wheezing day and taking the blue inhaler a lot I can get a bit of a headache and my hands can shake a little.

Good Luck, let us know how you get on.

*Laura(GGG)*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information