Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amitriptyline dosage advice... tension headaches.

Amitriptyline dosage advice... tension headaches.

Hi guys,

Ok, so having been on citalopram, fluoxetine and dosolupin (150mg for few weeks) over past 9 weeks the doctors have finally given me amitriptyline which I have been asking for as my main anxiety issue has related in daily tension headaches. She has told me to start 2 days 10mg, 2 days 20mg and see if I can tolerate it then 30mg. Seeing a Psychiatrist on Friday. Now, for those of you who have had success with amitriptyline for tension headaches, what dose worked best for you. It seems a bit silly to me having been on 150mg of dosolupin to start on 10mg and was thinking of going straight to 20mg.... then again, if 10mg works for tension headaches I don't want to be taking any more than needed...

What do you experts think? x

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Re: Amitriptyline dosage advice... tension headaches.

Amitriptyline has much harsher side effects than dosulepin so I would be careful. 20mg is OK but i would still start at 10 and increase slowly. 20-30mg sounds about right for tension headaches but it can be increased to 50mg (if you can take the SEs). It helped me at 20mg but I found the side effects annoying so now take pregabalin instead.

Hope that helps.

What were the SE that you experienced with Ami? Did 20mg remove the TH? Thanks for your words...

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Well, I don't want to put anyone off that may be taking this med or going to take it because not everyone gets the same SEs or to the same extent; but it made me really groggy and tired the next day and I felt like a zombie. It also gave me an increased appetite and I wasn't prepared to put on weight. It's the most anticholinergic of all the tricyclic ADs so has all those potential SEs.

But you won't know till you take it so give it a try!

Well I took 2 x 10mg last night and wish I had taken 1... feel very tired and groggy but I also know that it may pass after a few days. I will be taking 1 tonight. I have a banging headache but to be fair I had that before I went to bed last night, prob from about 5pm and my son is full of cold so perhaps it is that...

Hi Loulabella

I have been taking 10mg a day now for a week for pain relief on my spine. it is now starting to kick in a little for the pain and is helping me quite a bit. The only thing is when i take it about 2 hours after i do get quite drowsy but i can live with that just so long as it hides the pain. Let me know how you're getting on.

James

Hi James,

Thanks for that, it's great to know it's working for you. I have been uber sleepy today but to be fair, I have barely slept the last 2 nights. I am also on Diazapam so that's prob not helping but managed 7.5mg today rather than my usual 15mg

I am planning on staying on 20mg - I think if I go to 30mg I may get too many SE. I am also wondering if I should have seen if 10mg was enough. Do you think if it works at 20mg after a while I could drop to 10mg to see if it's enough?

Thanks James,

Louise x

P.s - Has it increased your appetite? x x

Hi..i've been taking amitriptyline for a while now to help keep my migraine attacks in check. I'm actually on 75mg a night and the worse side effect i have is the really dry mouth. I am also on various other meds but these definitely have helped, i do still get regular headaches/migraines but they would be worse if i didn't keep taking the tablets.Good luck, i hope you get some relief soon.

Hi Louise

I would ask your doctor if you could decrease your dosage from 20mg to 10mg because i am not sure what it would be like if you done that. Maybe you could contact your doctor by phone if that is possible for you? The appetite increase is an interesting one cos i have noticed that it has increased but didnt realise the tablets could be doing it but yes it definately has increased. Has yours?

James

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information