Thread: Scared of genetics

Scared of genetics

So I just learned that one of my biological grandparents died at an early age of heart problems. Now I'm really scared. I do not know any other health history on my biological dad's side of the family. My biological mom's side of the family is mostly healthy. Can anyone relate to this though? I'm scared I inherited bad genes, though I have no way of knowing this. :(

Re: Scared of genetics

We have a family history of heart disease and I had a heart attack last year.

There is just no way of knowing if you will be effected or not I am afraid to say so all you can do is keep healthy and fit and eat well.

My mum is 70 and is fine so it just goes to show that it can't always be in the genes.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

It's also stressing me out because I never asked anyone much about my biological dad (my step dad has been around since I was 2, I always saw him as my father and only learned a few years ago he's not my biological dad. Pity, because he has "good genes"). Now that I've learned a bit about my biological father it's a little offputting. I never wanted to have any connection to him, but I just had to ask my grandparents about him. It's emotionally frustrating. Additionally I have some exams to study for so I'm really really distracted right now. >_>

Hi there,
    I have the same worry and worry for the children too...but as Nicola says there is absolutely nothing you can do to alter your genes. Try to tell yourself that medicine has moved on in the last generation and there are many more things we know now that will help us avoid illness. If you eradicate all the other risk factors where possible, you will have done everything you can. Try not to ruin your present day life with thoughts to which there are no answer. I know it is hard...I am going through a better time just now, but when it overtakes me I have a couple of really bad days, then talk myself round again. Good luck with the studying .

Quote Originally Posted by mmac43 View Post
    Hi there,
    I have the same worry and worry for the children too...but as Nicola says there is absolutely nothing you can do to alter your genes. Try to tell yourself that medicine has moved on in the last generation and there are many more things we know now that will help us avoid illness. If you eradicate all the other risk factors where possible, you will have done everything you can. Try not to ruin your present day life with thoughts to which there are no answer. I know it is hard...I am going through a better time just now, but when it overtakes me I have a couple of really bad days, then talk myself round again. Good luck with the studying .
    I know where you're coming from there. I haven't got any bad history either side of my family, as far back as it goes really! but my kids dad's father died of Osophegal (sp) cancer & his mum had breast cancer a few years back, & her sister had it, so it concerns me for my kids, especially my daughter with the breast cancer thing x

Thread Information