Thread: Fear of speaking

Fear of speaking

Hi

I have a really bad phobia of speaking in front of groups of people. I am at university and have to give presentations. When I am speaking, I start to shake a lot, go bright red and cannot speak properly. Does anyone else feel like this? And what could I do to try and help with the nerves? The doctor has given me propanolol to help take physical symptoms off, but would like to deal with the actual cause of fear, and I dont want to get reliant on taking pills everytime I get scared of something!

Thank you!

Re: Fear of speaking

Hi

In my job i have to do presentations almost weekly and felt exactly as you do when i started
    First thing you need to know is in a survey when people were asked what do you fear most, public speaking came above death..so it is natural to feel the way you do..
    I have done several public speaking courses and the things that helped me are

1. know your subject well (really research and practice what you will be talking about)
    2. Practice, practice, practice (do it over and over until you can do it on autopilot)
    3. Just before you get up to speak take 2 deep slow breaths and push your sholders down (relax them)
    4. Your audience will NOT judge you as its the think they ALL fear doing
    5. Your audience will ot see how bad you feel... as mot of it is on the inside
    6 if you can video yourself you will be surprised how well you come across even when you are feeling nervous

Good luck and stick at it... its a great feeling when you master it ... and you will in time
    Last edited by PanicOver!!; 30-10-09 at 10:24.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

This is a tough one for people to deal with...

I'm in a job where I have to do presentations all the time. I still get periods of nerves that seem to come from nowhere, even though I've been doing it for over 10 years. When I feel like this I try to remove all pressure that's imposed on me. Eg, being rushed, the expectations others have of you and having to perform, making mistakes and also the pressure you put on yourself of what other people may think of you "cocking-up". All this may slow me down a bit but it'll prevent me from getting all panicky. If someone tells me to do something like present something in 5 mins I just take my time and think stuff you, I'll take as long as I need! People will also respect the fact that you do things your way, even if they don't admit it...

Hope that helps! X

Thank you both for you help! Had a presentatiom yesterday, took your advice and it went really well! Thank you!

Well done

It does get easier x

For years i have been scared stiff of speaking in front of people ie presentations, it has held me back in my career to be honest. i think that everyone can see the panic i'm feeling & my mind goes blank and i feel like i could pass out! I will overcome it, anyone know of any courses i can go on for confidence building & presentations??

Thread Information