Thread: Everyone is staring at me!

Everyone is staring at me!

Hello everyone. I have prety severe OCD, with fear of contamination and germs, as well as a crazy thing with numbers. I also need things to be symmetrical, or in a certain order, and I can't step on lines or cracks.

I feel as if everyone notices everything I do. I get odd looks in the hallways from kids who have no trouble stepping on cracks. People look over at my paper and see me figuring out patterns in the letters (and numbers that they equal) of my name, my friend's names, my parent's names, and other everyday objects. Once, a friend of mine saw me just starting out, and inquired to what I was doing. I told her (in a very fumbled way, and I'm pretty sure I stutter a lot as well as mess up my words) that I was just bored. She said, "So what, you decided to number the alphabet or something?"

I get so tired of this. As a teenager trying to work my way through highschool, I don't need the added stress of others noticing my OCD and making rude comments. Some people who mean well think I'm just sort of eccentric, and joke about it by saying things like, "Are you on medication of any sort?!" "The insane assylum in Salem is still open, isn't it?" and other things of a less than savory nature.

I don't plan on trying to be 'cured' of my OCD, simply because it's my way of life, and I'm comfortable with it. Also, my parents know about it, but don't really truly understand in a way that only another obsessive-compulsive could.

Do you have any advice on how I could get these annoying comments to stop, or how to tell someone why I do what I do? I'm a very shy person, and have trouble telling other people things I've kept secret, so this has been very hard for me.

Thank you for everything.

-------------------------

“But I don’t want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked.
    “Oh, you can’t help that,” said the Cat; “we’re all made here. I’m mad. You’re mad.”
    “How do you know I’m mad?” said Alice.
    “You must be,” said the Cat, “or you wouldn’t have come here.”

--Alice in Wonderland

Hi Megan,

A couple of things depending on insight and potential for understanding.

You could say that you are very intelligent/creative with a very low threshold for boredom so have made up these games to keep you busy.

You could tell the truth- you have a neuroses illness and give them some info that you printed off a good OCD website. Especially if you have no plans to address your issues the sooner you get comfortable with a few choice sentences the better.

Just maybe people are not really noticing as much as you think they are Megan.

Cracks and lines are Ok, you're just practicing 'Bears Bears walking on all the squares' Taken from 'When I was Six' Christopher Robin . Is that right Lucky/Kate with children ?

Take care

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Thread Information