Thread: Dentist again?

Dentist again?

Hi out there...

I bit down on a crusty roll earlier today and felt a crack in one of my crowns (as though I'd bitten onto something hard). It hasn't fallen out but it's been hurting all evening and if this throbbing doesn't stop, I'll have to make an appointment with my dentist. I only went to see him about four months ago when the crown was fitted.

I don't like going to the dentist. I've had a lot of crowns fitted in the last few years which became a protracted ordeal I had to put up with.

Although my dentist knows me quite well he can be very abrupt. I've been lucky enough to have these crowns fitted on the NHS. Because I'm on Income Support this hasn't cost me anything financially, but I've had some previous problems with this tooth which is now hurting.

My fear of the dentist is just another in a list of phobias which blight my life.

Agoraphobia and Social Phobia are two of the worst ones. I fear meeting people and going out to new and unfamiliar places. I'm trying to overcome these difficulties but sometimes I have setbacks which seem to overwhelm me.

It would be nice if the worries and problems could recede for a while.

Thanks for reading

Re: Dentist again?

Hi there chum! You've got no option but to go to the dentist unless you want to end up with teeth like Albert Steptoe's. Funnily enough my Uncle Jim was telling me the other day to "always look after your teeth". It was like that old poem.

Agoraphobia can only be cured (and it CAN be permanently cured) by spending time away from home. You will probably need to take a friend or family member with you.

Social phobia, in my experience, is usually down to lack of confidence. It could be that your lack of confidence is the root of your depression? In which case gradually getting yourself back into the world could be exactly what you need.

You seem like a decent, intelligent person. I'm willing to bet that the real world will not be as scary as you may expect. I took time out to answer three of your posts tonight and I am trying to finish a story to hit a competition deadline -- I wouldn't do that for just anybody, so you must have something going for you! ^^

I would recommend trying hypnotherapy. Expensive, but if you believe in it and try to act on what it teaches you, you could get off the starting blocks!

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

Hey

I go to dentist every 5 mins.....not cos Im scared of them Im scared of broken teeth!!!!

Costs me a bloody bomb and I still only have 14 teeth!!!!

Good Luck Mate

Kaz x x x

Go to the dentist if you need to - don't worry about their opinion - that's what they get paid for - and they get paid plenty!! Your health comes first and if you can manage to get there then go. I agree with psychopoet - agoraphobia can be treated. My mother had agoraphobia years ago and is now never in the house!! She did it the hard way, by starting to make herself go out. Think about yourself and go to the dentist, it'll make you feel better.
    Myra

Thread Information